Mystery Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirsloop

Reaction score
So I was mashing my grain for what was supposed to be another oaked arrogant bastard clone brew. I checked my inventory file and it said I had 4.5oz of chinook in my freezer. Guess what... no chinook. I just brewed a simcoe/warrior/cascade IPA yesterday so I didn't want to use those hops on another brew. I thought about using some of these EKG or Tett hops I have, but they aren't really US IPA hops. As I was digging, I found this unmarked bag of hops. IDK what the hell it was... smelled good... possibly cascade? Anyways... I decided it would be fun to make MYSTERY BEER! I'm actually thinking about making a complete mystery beer where I have my wife mix and match a small batch of grains, she can pick up some random hops, etc. Anyways so I ended up just using the mystery hops for bittering. I had 2.5oz.... went 1@90, 1@60, and .5@45. The rest was (a crap load of) Cascade for big aroma.

Man... I think im gonna talk to my homebrew club about doing mystery brew. Everyone sets aside 10# 2 row, and we randomly draw a mystery bag of specialty grain. We can do the same thing for hops...people set aside random hops and we pick from the pile. Add as you see fit! HAHAH!

sounds like fun!

I'd make sure SOMEONE has the master list of who got what; so if you hit on a crowd favorite, it could be replicated (and shared here).

Yeah, I started to say. My luck would be that I create a magnificent brew, then couldn't recreate it because of the unknown hops.....
Like that would really happen! hehehe

It would be nice to have a recipe, but then again its fun to say "I have no idea whats in this beer... but its good!". Basically chalk one up for RDWHAHB.

Latest posts

Back