crappy efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nchomebrew

Reaction score
i am on my 4th all grain batch, and still trying to help my efficiency. even added a couple of lbs of grain to help the sg, but still really good. this time i split the sparge into two equal runnings. here is what i did. does anyone have any suggestions. oh, grain was milled at hb supply, and i use north carolina well water.

13 lb american pale
1 lb crystal 40l
1/2 lb carafoam
4 gal in @ 175
155deg rest for 55 min
add 1 1/2 gal @ 185 for 5 min
collect first runnings of 3 gal
sparge 2 gal in @ 175 for 10 min
collect 2nd runnings for 4 3/4 gal
sparge again 2 gal in @ 175 for 10 min
collect 3rd runnings for 6 3/4 gal
total of 6 3/4 gal
starting gravity 1.046

i guess i don't know what my efficiency is. i used tastybrew.com, and it was less than 50% i think. thought someone could help me out from the grain bill and process i posted. this is supposed to be an ipa, and would like to have between 5% and 6% abv, but i think it'll be low.

I don't know the potential SG for Carafoam, but I'm estimating an OG of 1.078 using Cara-Pils in its place... so that puts your efficiency at around 44%. :(

i would have been real happy with that og. does my water levels, temps seem o.k.? i don't think i loose much temp during rest either.
should i possibly go back to a single sparge instead of two equals?

I'm getting 61% mash/lauter efficiency with that grain bill using beer tools pro.

I'll suggest that you NOT add that 1.5 gallons prior to the first runnings. Drain the tun after the mash before you add any water. If you did that, you'd have about 2.75 gallons for each sparge addition (make those 185F), and I think you would have been closer to 70%.

Did you stir your wort before you took your preboil gravity?

anyone else on their batch sparge method?
i didn't mash out on my first two batches, and thought i would try it to see if it would help.

anyone else on their batch sparge method?
i didn't mash out on my first two batches, and thought i would try it to see if it would help.

I've been getting 88% minimum using the method I suggested. Of course there are plenty other variables but as far as sparge method is concerned, it's pretty solid.

If your crush is a little coarse, mash like 15 minutes longer.

You're stirring really well after the batch sparge infusions right?

Have you checked your thermometer accuracy to make sure your sparge water is hot enough?

+1 Bobby, you hit the nail on the head. Also remember that any liquid not drained from the mash tun or boiler is lost efficiency. Get all that goodness.

my hose in the bottom of my rectangular cooler exits just above the bottom. i try tipping it when the wort is starting to slow, but i don't really get more out. do you think maybe i start with it tipped before i even start draining? although when i dump out the spent grain there is very little wort left in there.

my hose in the bottom of my rectangular cooler exits just above the bottom. i try tipping it when the wort is starting to slow, but i don't really get more out. do you think maybe i start with it tipped before i even start draining? although when i dump out the spent grain there is very little wort left in there.

I prop my rectangular MLT during my 2nd batch sparge. If you are seeing very little wort in your MLT when scooping out your grains, then you are getting it all.

+1. I used to put a scrap 2x4 under the cooler on the opposite side as the drain right before I stirred in my 2nd batch sparge. It reduced my deadspace from 1/2 quart to 1 cup.

Back