MLT Modification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The visual that I get when my MLT lauters is that most of the wort is draining from a small area near where the inner tube ends. One of the past issues of BYO spoke of the merits of drawing from several locations. So, I cut up my braided hose and made this. Think it was worth the effort? I batch sparge now, but am thinking about trying a modified fly.

MLT10.jpg

I think it's a great idea. Regardless of all of the information I here that a single manifold down the center is just as effective, I can't quite buy into it. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Stirring while batch sparging is supposed to ensure uniform extraction, but I get leary when I get too close to my bazooka screen. I actually bend the crud out of it on a previous batch and had to open it up and reinforce it.

I think you have just given me an idea for a cheaper alternative to a copper/PVC full size manifold. Let us know how it works.

I'll be trying it out this weekend. Let you know. Everything is food grade and rated to 225 degrees.

Regardless of all of the information I here that a single manifold down the center is just as effective, I can't quite buy into it. It just doesn't make any sense to me.
That's my impression too. It seems like the draw would be strongest at the point where the tube enters the braid, not equal though out its length.

That's a nice layout.

The merits of drawing from multiple locations are greater when fly sparging. Fly sparging, because you don't disturb the grain bed by stirring, is more susceptible to channeling, thereby causing sugar rich grain pockets to not get rinsed thoroughly.

The biggest risk for channeling exists down the walls of the mash tun. Your configuration should minimize this problem.

That said...when batch sparging, even a simple 3" perforated tube at the center of the tun will be plenty effective. After all...your stirring/mixing the wort, and all the wort is eventually draining out of that single, small drain.

. . Everything is food grade and rated to 225 degrees . . .
Just rechecked the catalog. The barbed fittings are rated at 225, but the hose has an operating temperature of –10 to 170 degrees. With infusions there will be spots where the mash temperature is above 170 before mixed. Do you think this will be a problem?

Edit: The tube is Blended PVC/Polyurethane

I think that operating temperature range deals with the hoses performance when they are under pressure. Simple exposure to 170(ish) temps shouldn't be a problem.

Back