Temp Monitoring with OSX

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

509inc

Reaction score
How do I resist? I can't, you'll hate me... Buy a REAL computer (just kidding).
Ok, done... let the insults begin....

I like my mac. It's so easy to use it makes smart people feel dumb. Finding hardware for it sucks but when you do, you know it going to work. Also after saving the world 40 hours a week by doing the real admin work for Linux guru's, it is what I'm looking for in a home computer.

Darn, not much of a rise out of you... :D
BTW, that USB unit looks pretty cool (pardon the pun).
I think an Arduino would be a much better choice. Mac compatible and you could do far more than just monitor and record temps.

Darn, not much of a rise out of you... :D
BTW, that USB unit looks pretty cool (pardon the pun).
I think an Arduino would be a much better choice. Mac compatible and you could do far more than just monitor and record temps.

I'm MCITP and LPIC 3 certified and know there is no argument when it comes to operating systems. The each have their purpose.

I'll have to check out the Arduino again. I was looking for something plug and play simple though.

And my mac runs this
CIMG0133.jpg

If you're a real admin for Linux gurus, you should have a look here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/monitoring-controlling-linux-cheap-240955/

It's not what you want (but might become something you "need"), and I'm not certain that the Dallas Semiconductors USB dongle will work at all with OS X, but that thread is definitely worth a read.

*** Posted from my Hackintosh *** :D

How do I resist? I can't, you'll hate me... Buy a REAL computer (just kidding).
Ok, done... let the insults begin....

:off:
I bet you prefer windows because you havent tried a mac? Once you go mac you never go back!

if you have an intel mac you can always run windows in a VM if you absolutely have to run windows. I run windows 7 x64 and XP in VMs with paralells because I do dotnet development.

Look at oracles openbox for free VM software, you'll still need the OS.

OWFS does work on OSX, so I bet this will work. Now to find the 1-wire temperature sensors.

Back