Question on "finishing hops"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slam

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm using an extract recipe for Scotch Ale. I'm not officially a hop head yet but i do like a hoppier beer. What if i didn't ad the Fuggle Finishing Hops (14.17 g.-- alpha acid 4.2%) for the last 5 minutes of the boil, but instead, dry hopped all or part into the secondary. Maybe a 50% boil, 50% dryhop. Any thoughts?

Slam said:
Hello all, I'm using an extract recipe for Scotch Ale. I'm not officially a hop head yet but i do like a hoppier beer. What if i didn't ad the Fuggle Finishing Hops (14.17 g.-- alpha acid 4.2%) for the last 5 minutes of the boil, but instead, dry hopped all or part into the secondary. Maybe a 50% boil, 50% dryhop. Any thoughts?
I like the 50/50 idea.

Definitely want some short time boil there to get the flavor.

The dry hop will lend an aroma and mild flavor.

Yes, Thank you. I'm leaning 50/50 but just wanted to check with the pro's.

I concur with the 50/50 idea, but you might want to throw it in there at 10min or more. I find that less than 10min and it's adding more to aroma than to flavor....

Back