Hippies ruin all the fun in the world

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/07/29/nconger29.xmlhttp://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1674547/posts

t.gif
Now you can't cuddle a conger
A charity game in which people try to knock each other over with a 5ft conger eel has been banned after animal rights activists complained that it was "disrespectful" to the dead fish.
Conger cuddling has been staged annually for more than 30 years at the harbour in Lyme Regis, Dorset, as a fund-raising event for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.
Teams stand on 6in high wooden blocks and others take it in turns to swing a 25lb eel at them. The team with the most people left standing at the end wins.
However, animal activists threatened to film the event and use the footage to start a national campaign against it.
Rob Michael, the chairman of the Lyme Lifeboat Guild, said: "We have been advised by the RNLI headquarters at Poole to abandon the conger cuddling event following a local complaint from animal rights activists.
"The RNLI is not prepared to be involved in an event that may be seen by some to be a barbaric throwback due to its use of a dead animal."
A rubber buoy may be now used instead of an eel.
Ken Whetlor, the mayor of Lyme Regis, said: "The writer of that letter is a gutless troublemaker with nothing better to do than stop people enjoying an innocent event that helps to raise money to save lives. I cannot see how using a dead conger eel landed by a local fisherman is unethical."

DISCLAIMER...
First and foremost, apologies to the dog lovers out there...

Where the hell were the conger lovers when THIS was going on???? What? They only love dead fish?????? Story courtesy of the AP...

ST. LOUIS — A woman accused of pummeling a dog breeder over the head with a dead Chihuahua has been charged with two misdemeanors and reimbursed the money she paid for the puppy.

Lisa Lynn Hopfer, 33, was charged with trespassing and third-degree assault in the June 7 incident, authorities said.

No listed phone number for Hopfer was available. A man at her home who declined to identify himself told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch newspaper Friday that "there's another side to the story," but declined to elaborate.

Hopfer told police she had taken the puppy to a veterinarian, who said it was only 4 weeks old and needed to be returned to its mother. But before she could return the puppy named Chloe, it died.

Authorities said Hopfer went to the breeder's home, pushed her way inside and began fighting with the breeder as she tried to make her way to the basement to get another puppy, police said.

Linda Hulsey, 33, wrestled the woman out of her house to the front porch, where the woman then hit the breeder over the head numerous times with the dead puppy, police said.

As she drove away, the woman waved the dead puppy out of the car's sunroof and yelled threats at the breeder, police said. She later called the breeder and threatened her and her family, according to court records.

Hulsey said she was hit with the dead puppy at least 30 times and went to a hospital for her bruises, but had no serious injuries. She said she was upset that Hopfer had accused her of selling the puppy too young and said the puppy was two days shy of 6 weeks old.

Hulsey said she later returned the $100 (euro79) that Hopfer had paid for the dog.

Ize

Cheesefood' story....

Animal rights groups.... hmph.... It's already dead. What the hell difference does it make if someone is swinging it.

Ize and puppy story....

Umm.... well really I just can't think of anything to say.... there are some really weird people around.... hitting someone over the head with a dead puppy.... umm... .... nah... I'm speechless.......

Poor dead puppy...speaking of puppies!!!

Anyone elses dog growl at them if they don't share a lick or two of their beer? Anyone else ever catch the pooch lapping your prized pint of beer while you were away in the can?

Anyone elses dog ever pass out in YOUR lazy-boy? Ok that didn't actually happen, but it's funny anyways.

Mrs. Hopfer: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.
(The owner does not respond.)
Mrs. Hopfer: 'Ello, Miss?
Owner: What do you mean "miss"?
Mrs. Hopfer: I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!
Owner: We're closin' for lunch.
Mrs. Hopfer: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this chihuahua what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.
Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Chihuahua...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?
Mrs. Hopfer: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!
Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.
Mrs. Hopfer: Look, matey, I know a dead chihuahua when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.
Owner: No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable dog, the Chihuahua, idn'it, ay? Beautiful fur!
Mrs. Hopfer: The fur don't enter into it. It's stone dead.
Owner: Nononono, no, no! 'E's resting!
Mrs. Hopfer: All right then, if he's restin', I'll wake him up! (shouting at the cage) 'Ello, Mister Polly Chihuahua! I've got a lovely fresh cuttle fish for you if you
show...

(owner hits the cage)
Owner: There, he moved!
Mrs. Hopfer: No, he didn't, that was you hitting the cage!
Owner: I never!!
Mrs. Hopfer: Yes, you did!
Owner: I never, never did anything...
Mrs. Hopfer: (yelling and hitting the cage repeatedly) 'ELLO POLLY!!!!! Testing! Testing! Testing! Testing! This is your nine o'clock alarm call!
(Takes chihuahua out of the cage and thumps its head on the counter. Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.)
Mrs. Hopfer: Now that's what I call a dead chihuahua.
Owner: No, no.....No, 'e's stunned!
Mrs. Hopfer: STUNNED?!?
Owner: Yeah! You stunned him, just as he was wakin' up! Chihuahuas stun easily, major.
Mrs. Hopfer: Um...now look...now look, mate, I've definitely 'ad enough of this. That chihuahua is definitely deceased, and when I purchased it not 'alf an hour
ago, you assured me that its total lack of movement was due to it bein' tired and shagged out following a prolonged squawk.

Owner: Well, he's...he's, ah...probably pining for the fjords.
Mrs. Hopfer: PININ' for the FJORDS?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that?, look, why did he fall flat on his back the moment I got 'im home?
Owner: The Chihuahua prefers keepin' on it's back! Remarkable dog, id'nit, squire? Lovely fur!
Mrs. Hopfer: Look, I took the liberty of examining that chihuahua when I got it home, and I discovered the only reason that it had been sitting on its perch in the
first place was that it had been NAILED there.

(pause)
Owner: Well, o'course it was nailed there! If I hadn't nailed that dog down, it would have nuzzled up to those bars, bent 'em apart with its beak, and
VOOM! Feeweeweewee!

Mrs. Hopfer: "VOOM"?!? Mate, this dog wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it! 'E's bleedin' demised!
Owner: No no! 'E's pining!
Mrs. Hopfer: 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This chihuahua is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e
rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the
bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-CHIHUAHUA!!

(pause)
Owner: Well, I'd better replace it, then. (he takes a quick peek behind the counter) Sorry squire, I've had a look 'round the back of the shop, and uh,
we're right out of chihuahuas.

Mrs. Hopfer: I see. I see, I get the picture.
Owner: I got a slug.
(pause)
Mrs. Hopfer: Pray, does it talk?
Owner: Nnnnot really.
Mrs. Hopfer: WELL IT'S HARDLY A BLOODY REPLACEMENT, IS IT?!!???!!?
Owner: N-no, I guess not. (gets ashamed, looks at his feet)
Mrs. Hopfer: Well.
(pause)
Owner: (quietly) D'you.... d'you want to come back to my place?
Mrs. Hopfer: (looks around) Yeah, all right, sure.

Just as an aside, I would definitely not characterize most animal rights activists as hippies and vice versa. I'm sure there's some overlap there, but not all that much.

Hmm.....I bet these same people that are protesting for the "respectful" treatment of dead fish are the same people that don't mind the butcher-like treatment of a dead fetus....

Yeah, I went there :)

(I lean pro-choice by the way, just think that there is too much hypocrisy in "activism" these days)

Born Brewing Co. said:
What's wrong with hippies?

Cartman: Hippies.They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad.

Cartman: Naw dude, Independent films are those black and white hippy movies. They're always about gay cowboys eating pudding.

Officer Barbrady: You can't just lock 63 people in your basement.
Cartman: They're not people, they're hippies!

Cartman: Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.

Cartman: M'am, I'm here to check your house for parasites ... apparently, you have hippies.

Cartman: Only three more hours, sea people. Only three more hours and you can take me away from this crappy goddamn planet full of hippies.

Cartman: I hate hippies! I mean, the way they always talk about "protectin' the earth" and then drive around in cars that get poor gas mileage and wear those stupid bracelets - I hate 'em! I wanna kick 'em in the nuts!

Stan: I don't want to shoot the bunny.
Uncle Jimbo: No nephew of mine is going to be a tree hugger.
Cartman: Yeah, hippie. Go back to Woodstock if you don't wnat to shoot anything.

Cartman: I don't hate black people. I hate hippies.

Cartman: I've been keeping this place free of hippies since I was five and a half.

Hippies have been replaced by tree hugging chicks with hairy legs & armpits and their nappy dreadlocks. 4th ave in Downtown tucson is full of em near the university.

Hippies were much cooler than the huggers and didn't smell nearly as bad.

Cheesefood said:
Cartman: Hippies.They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad.

Cartman: Naw dude, Independent films are those black and white hippy movies. They're always about gay cowboys eating pudding.

Officer Barbrady: You can't just lock 63 people in your basement.
Cartman: They're not people, they're hippies!

Is it bad that when I saw the advertisements for Brokeback Mountain I wondered if they ate pudding in the movie at all? It's an independent film, you know. About... well.... y'know.

when they complain about "hurting" lobsters when you boil/steam them alive, i have to laugh. what must they think about slaughterhouses with cows, pigs, chickens, etc? Do they think that the animals die of natural causes?
Some of this is happening in Europe as well, one example being bullfighting. I would like to travel to Spain soon to experience the sport before it is banned. In England, there was some controversy about fox hunting (it may have already been banned, I don't know). As long as it is not endangering the animal, I say go for it...
and finally, I think i remember reading somewhere about a gourmet pet food shop--and also about a restaurant where you can dine with your dog--WTF?!!! Too Far!

desiderata said:
and finally, I think i remember reading somewhere about a gourmet pet food shop--and also about a restaurant where you can dine with your dog--WTF?!!! Too Far!

Chicago is dog-friendly for outdoor cafes. A lot of the shops set out bowls of water outside their shops. I think it's a great touch and I support these shops.

Cheesefood said:
Chicago is dog-friendly for outdoor cafes. A lot of the shops set out bowls of water outside their shops. I think it's a great touch and I support these shops.

Nah, I understand that just fine. I'm talking about spending lots of money to feed animals gourmet food, or where the pets are inside the restaurant, and you have ordered a meal for the animal as well (menu items). (maybe they can't leave the dog at home, cuz it will crap on the plush carpet) It's not like people go out to take their dog for a walk and then just decide to stop in at a five star restaurant for a nice dinner. That's the impression I got from whatever it was i read/heard. I know people are free to spend their money as they choose, but it shows how far people will go to pamper animals.

On the other hand, I don't equate this behavior to hippies--I have nothing against hippies either. :D

a little on topic: I criticize my SWMBOs family for having a policy of taking off shoes before entering the house, but they have several inside dogs who spend a lot of time outside as well, tracking dirt in. (shows that overly-pampering pets is not exclusive of the wealthy.)

Damn "environmentalists"
Care more about dead animals and their rights than people. Don't want the other eels to get offended if they were to see this event.

These are the same people that put bombs on gates trying to keep offroaders out. Only problem is these are establised trails, on private land maintained by the wheeling comunity. Oh, and they tend to be morons about it. Because not are they trying to blow people up to keep them off of land that they maintain, the gates they placed the bombs on were for access to farm land. Thankfully they were also dumb enough to make it easy to track them down.

Ize said:
DISCLAIMER...
First and foremost, apologies to the dog lovers out there...

Where the hell were the conger lovers when THIS was going on???? What? They only love dead fish?????? Story courtesy of the AP...

ST. LOUIS — A woman accused of pummeling a dog breeder over the head with a dead Chihuahua has been charged with two misdemeanors and reimbursed the money she paid for the puppy.

Lisa Lynn Hopfer, 33, was charged with trespassing and third-degree assault in the June 7 incident, authorities said.

No listed phone number for Hopfer was available. A man at her home who declined to identify himself told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch newspaper Friday that "there's another side to the story," but declined to elaborate.

Hopfer told police she had taken the puppy to a veterinarian, who said it was only 4 weeks old and needed to be returned to its mother. But before she could return the puppy named Chloe, it died.

Authorities said Hopfer went to the breeder's home, pushed her way inside and began fighting with the breeder as she tried to make her way to the basement to get another puppy, police said.

Linda Hulsey, 33, wrestled the woman out of her house to the front porch, where the woman then hit the breeder over the head numerous times with the dead puppy, police said.

As she drove away, the woman waved the dead puppy out of the car's sunroof and yelled threats at the breeder, police said. She later called the breeder and threatened her and her family, according to court records.

Hulsey said she was hit with the dead puppy at least 30 times and went to a hospital for her bruises, but had no serious injuries. She said she was upset that Hopfer had accused her of selling the puppy too young and said the puppy was two days shy of 6 weeks old.

Hulsey said she later returned the $100 (euro79) that Hopfer had paid for the dog.

Ize

Bringing up an old post... These ladies just had their day in court http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/nation/4168418.html

crazy lady

- magno

People are idiots. I saw a story where some animal rights group got "cow patty bingo" banned. Apparently it's a charity event where you mark off a field into squares, release a cow, and wherever the cow plops... well you get the idea. It ended up being shutdown because the animal rights people thought it was "demeaning to the cows". Our species is doomed...

Since I'm an avid aficionado of barbecue, I decided it would be appropriate for me to join my local P.E.T.A. chapter. I think it's great to support things you believe in.

P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

I think I'm going to get a new P.E.T.A. barbecue apron to show my support.

Back