Funky taste in Scotch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMU

Reaction score
Does anyone know the malts in Founder's Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale? To be honest, I don't like it and I'd like to know why. It is a little strong (8.5%), and that could be part of it, but it has almost a bourbon/liquor taste. What is that?

Founders website refers to "smoke and peat" tastes in their beer, so they're using some smoked and roasted malts with those flavor profiles. It states that they're using seven different types of malt on this beer. They could also be aging the beer in whiskey barrels (all the rage) as well, but unknown and unmentioned on their website.

Thanks aiptasia. If they're doing the barrel thing, in my humble opinion, they're wasting their time. Not my favorite - there is absolutely no detectable hop flavor, and that just ain't right.

there is absolutely no detectable hop flavor, and that just ain't right.

I believe this is probably what you don't like, I would say you should stay a away from all wee heavies. Dirty Bastard is 50 IBU, which is higher than the style guidlines for a wee heavy, but who cares I love it.

Thanks. Kiwibrew and jma99, if either of you were closer than MI or MN, I'd give you the last 2 from the six - no accounting for taste I guess.

Latest posts

Back