Cider residual sweetness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RukusDM

Reaction score
From my testing it would appear that any yeast that we use for cider can ferment out to full dryness. From what I've been reading, most of us produce cider in the 5% - 8% ABV range, so the limiting factor is not the yeast to goto full dryness.

The question I have is, has anyone ever used DME or LME in a cider? From my limited experience with Beer, using those will not go to full dry as they are not 100% fermentable sugars.

I don't like to goto full dryness. I appear to like cider with a final SG in the range of around 1.010 - 1.015. I always seem to have to stop it and bottle, then the normal routine after bottling.

The use of DME or LME along with sugar might appear to be a good thing if it didn't mess with the taste. Sounds like it would almost be a "Bycer", Beer cider.

Is this something worth trying, or has someone already ruined a good cider doing this?

Latest posts

Back