Where can I get an accurate thermometer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTabb

Reaction score
So I bought a laboratory thermometer from my LHBS last week and brewed a 10 gallon APA with columbus, cascade, simcoe and amarillo hops and split it into two 6 gallon carboys. One with 2 vials of white labs San Diego super yeast and the other with 2 vials of Dry English Ale. I was expecting an OG of 1.055 and ended up with 1.040. Come to find out my brand new "laboratory thermometer" is reading 235F at boiling and 131F at an actual temp of 150F. Let’s just say you don't extract much at a 130F and the beer taste like grain water with some hop aroma. I go back to my LHBS and get a new "laboratory thermometer" today and its reading the same damn thing. Where can I get an accurate thermometer? I'm done ranting. Did I mention I calibrated all my thermistors on my brew system with this piece of **** and now they're all wrong.

NTabb

I've been told even the Thermopen needs to be calibrated from time to time. Also don't they have a pretty small probe? Probably isn't a big deal if you stir the mash.

Looks like it was an error with the Amazon price tracking software. It's not showing that anymore.

Edit: Huh, it's still showing that with some of the colors. It may be wrong, but it says that from Jan through early Nov, it was $19, and then it went up to $93. It's the splash proof model. Probably not worth worrying about. Either it is a software error, or that price is gone.

I have a long digital thermometer I attached to a stainless steel kabob skewer. I take my readings and sit in in a quart pitcher with enough luke warm star san water to cover the tip between readings, and air dry the tip before each reading. I have had no issues, and if you are an extract brewer with limited space as I am, it does the trick!

I just ordered a Thermopen. I got the same response on a couple forums. Thanks for the advice!

I LOVE my Thermopen. It's great and accurate. Bob stole it on Thanksgiving to check his turkey that was on the grill, but that's the only time it has left my brewery!

dankev said:
Looks like it was an error with the Amazon price tracking software. It's not showing that anymore.

Edit: Huh, it's still showing that with some of the colors. It may be wrong, but it says that from Jan through early Nov, it was $19, and then it went up to $93. It's the splash proof model. Probably not worth worrying about. Either it is a software error, or that price is gone.

I promise you it's an error. Thermoworks simply doesn't do that, and they make a big deal out of the product being dirt-cheap compared to similar products offered by other manufacturers by keeping margins/markups low, so it would actually look terrible on them if they were selling them at that price. Not to mention, even if none of the above was true, and they were at that price, they'd be bought up by scalpers pretty much instantly, and selling on eBay for $60-$70. Heck, *I'D* get into the scalping game if I could be making $50/unit. It'd be a very safe and easy way to "invest" your money for a quick 350% return!

Can you provide a link to where you see that some of the colors were $19?

I promise you it's an error. Thermoworks simply doesn't do that, and they make a big deal out of the product being dirt-cheap compared to similar products offered by other manufacturers by keeping margins/markups low, so it would actually look terrible on them if they were selling them at that price. Not to mention, even if none of the above was true, and they were at that price, they'd be bought up by scalpers pretty much instantly, and selling on eBay for $60-$70. Heck, *I'D* get into the scalping game if I could be making $50/unit. It'd be a very safe and easy way to "invest" your money for a quick 350% return!

Can you provide a link to where you see that some of the colors were $19?
Like I said, I don't doubt that it's a software glitch.

I'm not sure how to give you a link. I use a plug in called The Tracktor that gives me a graph of price histories on every Amazon product page. It's amazing, and everyone who uses Amazon should have it. I use it with Chrome. Not sure if it's available with other browsers.

Okay, so you have me convinced that a thermapen is the way to go for monitoring temps...

However, I have a few questions.

So, it only has a 5 inch probe, which really, only 4 inches is useful (that's what she said... sorry couldn't let anyone else use that!). How helpful is that when using it in the mash? I guess that as long as your stir appropriately, the temps are relatively consistent? Just seems like it may not be long enough to be accurate.

When it says splash proof, what if it accidentally got dropped into the mash? Splash proof does not necessarily indicate that it works great under sparge water...? Anybody have any experience with that?

I have tried several dial thermometers, and honestly I can't stand them. I take so many temperature readings during a brew session, this would be an awesome investment.

Thanks for your help!
Ryan M.

Okay.

First, the temperature sensor is only something like the first 1/8" of the tip (which makes it awesome even for thin cuts of meat). And to be able to go down a few inches deep is all you need, really, especially if you're not direct firing your mash. You're going to give the mash a good stir anyways... after that, the temps can be expected to stay very consistent.

And no, it's not "waterproof". Or at least not guaranteed to be so - it CAN survive being briefly submerged, but that doesn't mean it always will. Dropping it in wort creates another issue though, even if it manages to survive. You really want to keep sticky stuff away from the hinge part, and if it gets sticky, try to wipe it off or use a bit of water (like a wet qtip or something) before the opening and/or closing motion will get it sticky a bit inside the hinge where you can't do much about it.

Gotcha.

I figured that I already knew the answers, I just like to hear real peoples experiences with products. Obviously at $100 bucks for a thermapen, I would probably attach a lanyard around it and my wrist JUST to make sure I didn't drop it in the wort.

As far as mixing the mash, I figured the temp would be relatively consistent throughout, but I would like to get under the surface of the liquid, and if 4 inches is enough to get a decent temperature of the mash as a whole, then so be it!

Thanks for answering, will have to start being nice, and see what Santa brings me for X-mas this year!

Ryan M.

Thermapens have been pricey for years. I paid $70 for mine 7 years ago. I use it all the time for mash temps, strike water temps and for calibrating analog thermometers. Oh yeah, they are great for BBQ too.

Chiller3.jpg

Okay.

You really want to keep sticky stuff away from the hinge part, and if it gets sticky, try to wipe it off or use a bit of water (like a wet qtip or something) before the opening and/or closing motion will get it sticky a bit inside the hinge where you can't do much about it.

I used PAM to free up a sticky hinge. I've used a Thermapen for years for brewing and cooking. This thing will make you a better cook as well as a better brewer. I just ordered my son a rt301wa from ThermoWorks and decided to get one for myself.At $19.00 I thought I would give it a try. I just finished calibrating it and am impressed how fast and accurate it is. I'll give it a test on my next brew day.

ThermoWorks Pocket Digital Thermometers

Latest posts

Back