Chunks float to the top when I open my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catie0501

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Is it normal for little chunks to float to the top when you open a homebrew?

The beer tasted great.

Tiny little white chunk/dots also stuck to the bottom of the glass.

I also saw something when I was pouring it that looked like a tiny speck of mold- but it could have been a yeast speck too :)

This batch has been bottled for a bout a month now.

Let me know if you need more info- but I wanted to see if this ever happened to anyone else.

How long are you chilling it before openning them? The longer you chill, the tighter the yeast in the bottom will be and the less of an issue you will have.

All good questions and I think I know why it's chunky now!

I did not use carb tabs- I used priming sugar.

It chilled for a while, but than I transported it for a few hour car drive then crammed it in the fridge sideways (it was a jam packed full fridge haha) before I found a way to put it back upright again.

So it's probably chunky from all that turbulence, huh?

I'm glad it's not something else.

p.s. Revvy, I hope you get paid for this!! If you send me your address I'll send you one of my brews- you deserve it!

So it's probably chunky from all that turbulence, huh?

Certainly. Be gentle!

Alternatively, keg your beer to proper carbonation, then counter-ballance fill your bottles (like the commercial breweries usually do).. you can even filter your beer if you want if you go that route.

Latest posts

Back