Stuck hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tolkheleknar

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I just got into brewing and gardening and it struck us that we could grow our own hops as well. We ordered four rhizomes from Northwest Hops and three "fully rooted plants" from High Hops. The rhizomes are going off like a firecracker (especially the Williamette; vigorous growth habit indeed), but the plants from High Hops have stalled out and some of the shoots have wilted/died back completely. We kept them in what seemed to be the recommended amount of water before transplanting once it got consistently warm enough.

Symptoms are a little browning around the edges of the leaves and partial die-off of some shoots. All plants are currently alive but the tips of the shoot buds also have some browning so I fear future growth may not develop at all. My suspicion is potential root damage during planting and possible over-saturation before being planted, but I was wondering if any more experienced growers could help us out here. Diagnostic pictures below, more can be taken if necessary.

FItSwl.jpg

Galena. You can see the dead shoot before I removed for fear of leading to some sort of infection and the browned edges of the leaves and bud.
iKTNhl.jpg

Centennial. Doing the best of the three, but still barely any growth and some browning.
5VYE9l.jpg

Zeus. One shoot yellowed and wilted and the second has been losing it's initial dark green hue over time.

And just to compare (and show off
XO3Rb.gif
) here are some of the ones from rhizomes
CB7tCl.jpg

Williamette
RUVdjl.jpg

Cascade
These guys look immensely healthy compared to the other three.

Sounds right to me.

Those plants that were already started in the pots got disrupted from transplanting. Keep doing what you are doing and let those roots catch up. Once they do the plant will do fine.

I would expect the rhizomes to do better.

I don't understand the "recommended amount of water" you stated. Were they kept in a liquid solution or are you stating the amount of water in the soil? They just needed to be kept from drying out before planting, and also after planting for that matter. I'm also sure that the rooted plants are showing a little bit of transplant shock.

A lot of folks seem to panic when a newly transplanted plant shows signs of poor growth and feel the need to add more water. This may or may not be the case.

The rhizomes have a carbohydrate reserve built in; the rooted ones don't. The rhizomes will lead in the short term, but the rooted plants will form a better root system in the long run and don't carry the possible disease/virus load of rhizomes. "Don't pet the puppy to death"

Back