replacing hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poison2003

Reaction score
Hey
Just wondering if anyone heard of Sinicuichi its this plant from mexico and southern United States.
It has a bitter taste and some euphoric effects just wondering would u think it would be a good try to make a batch with replacing the hops?

poison2003 said:
Hey
Just wondering if anyone heard of Sinicuichi its this plant from mexico and southern United States.
It has a bitter taste and some euphoric effects just wondering would u think it would be a good try to make a batch with replacing the hops?

A beer without hops, now that's just CR-AAA-ZY!!

Would be a good experiment I guess, but I don't think I would try it unless I was allergic to hops or had a friend that was. Ahh who am I kidding even though the hop aroma is the greatest thing in the world experimenting with brews is cool too. I would probably try it.

im really thinking of trying different herbs and stuff to replace hops because you can always get beer with hops but you cant that easily beer with different herbs :)

Brew some up, and send some in to the Sam Adams Long Shot. A beer without hops just might be good enough for marketing to get you to win.

Does Sinicuichi have antibacterial effects? If you use it in place of hops, make sure you are impeccable with your sanitation. It is widely known that hops have antibacterial properties, and I've done this experiment in sort of a "Mythbusters science" way for a class project with hop extract, and it is true. Having hops in a beer gives you a definite advantage in being able to inhibit bacterial growth prior to the yeasties getting up to steam and starting their work. (Bacterial doubling times are faster than yeast doubling times.)

Good luck with the Sinicuichi though. Do you have to grow it yourself, or can you buy it (in a back alley) due to its supposed euphoric effects?

I redently saw a recipe for a Honey Basil Beer that used basil in place of hops. If I can dig it up I will post the recipe. I'm not sure I would make a Honey Basil beer or not, but it seemed relevent to this thread.

Levers101 said:
Does Sinicuichi have antibacterial effects? If you use it in place of hops, make sure you are impeccable with your sanitation. It is widely known that hops have antibacterial properties, and I've done this experiment in sort of a "Mythbusters science" way for a class project with hop extract, and it is true. Having hops in a beer gives you a definite advantage in being able to inhibit bacterial growth prior to the yeasties getting up to steam and starting their work. (Bacterial doubling times are faster than yeast doubling times.)

Good luck with the Sinicuichi though. Do you have to grow it yourself, or can you buy it (in a back alley) due to its supposed euphoric effects?

you order it or u can grow it its a shrub and supposed to grow pretty easily

i've heard that spruce needles were historically used instead of (or before the use of?) hops. in terms of anti-bacterial properties, spruce needles are fairly acidic, so that may help prevent some bacterial growth. plus it would add a nice armoa, especially in a x-mas beer.

Back