Slag in bottom of keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastmetal

Reaction score
I just picked up a pre cut keggle from a guy that cut the top of with a plasma cutter but I guess he didn't use water and the slag is stuck to the bottom. What is the best tool to grind this out of there? I got a really good deal on this thing so I am willing to do a little more work. A Dremel seems a little small.

Thanks in advance!

Hmmm didn't have to do this with mine, since I added the water before cutting with the plasma cutter. But I would suggest getting the wire brush attachment a drill, or grinder and try that first. If that doesn't work you may have to take a grinding wheel to it. Although I'm sure this has happened before. I faintly remember seeing it somewhere on these forums I believe, but I'm not sure where. So do a search, and you may find the answer if what told you isn't the right thing to do.

Home depot has these blue abrasive coated wire wheels... I forget the name of them, but they work wonders on clean-up. I'd start there. They aren't as aggressive as a grinding wheel and can cut through stuff that a wire wheel will just pee all over itself on.

Have you tried a slag/pick-hammer first? Try it first (gently) and see if it helps. My guess is that the slag won't be fused but just "heat-stuck". The height of the keg is quite high for slag to fuse.

00920729000-1

M_C

Back