Add cold water to hit strike temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTDoug

Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with adding cold water to hit the optimal strike temp you were shooting for? I hit 154 on my 5 gal. AG and quickly added a quart of cold water to bring it to 150. Are the enzymes already destroyed or is a quick addition of cold water okay?

Thanks,
Doug

UTDoug said:
Is there anything wrong with adding cold water to hit the optimal strike temp you were shooting for? I hit 154 on my 5 gal. AG and quickly added a quart of cold water to bring it to 150. Are the enzymes already destroyed or is a quick addition of cold water okay?

Thanks,
Doug
I have added cold water to bring down the temp with no problems. BTW, 154 is fine for a mash temp - no worries there - I'd be concerned if I got up into the 160's.

Should be fine, Enzymes in grains are tough, you mainly want to avoid exposure to high temperatures (above 170º) for extended periods time (10-60seconds) and freeze thaw cycles, Ice crystals will shear the polypeptide chain randomly inactivating them.

Thanks for the input. Now I just have to work on hitting my mash-out temp; I only hit 164 and I think that's what gave me horrible efficiency on my hefe.

Back