Roasting/toasting Domestic 2-row to get a pale ale malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregdech

Reaction score
I posted this at the end of another thread and didn't get any response so I thought I'd start a separate thread. Has anyone around here tried lightly roasting/toasting some domestic 2-row to get a pale ale malt similar to Maris Otter and other british pale malts? I've seen info on roasting/toasting pale malt to get crystal, munich, vienna etc. (for example, Home Grain Roasting) but I was wondering if putting some domestic 2-row in the oven somewhere between 70-90°C would impart the added flavors that we look for from Maris Otter?

Cheers,

Greg

I am reminded of the old phrase, "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh&#". Taking a small portion of the domestic pale and toasting it will add some flavor but it won't turn it into MO or any other Brit pale anymore than a new paint job on a Taurus will turn it into a Bentley.

I really don't think domestic 2-row is to MO as a taurus is to a bentley. Still, you're not going to make one out of the other. You might add some flavor though, and it might be what you're looking for. I say try it. On the other hand, if you want your beer to taste like MO, just use MO.

Maybe we'll say, you can't make a cavalier into a mini...

get some victory malt. we used to toast our own malt for our IPA and realized we could get a better consistency and quality by buying a pre-toasted malt like victory.

Thanks for the responses, guys. My intent is not necessarily to replicate Maris Otter. Rather, my intent is to gain some of the maltier, more complex flavors you get from a pale ale malt over a domestic 2-row. As was stated above by GloHoppa, I could use some specialty malts like vienna, victory, biscuit etc. to give me some of these flavors, but I thought why couldn't I toast the domestic 2-row slightly to impart this complexity.

Cheers,

Greg

Latest posts

Back