Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copasetic20222

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm brewing Northy 12 from NB tomorrow. Been stepping up a yeast starter since Sunday. This may be a stupid question but after the 2nd step the amount of yeast settled out in the bottom doesn't look like any more than after the first time. The starter fermented really good and even blew the sponge stopper out of the flask. Mr. Maltys calculator said 2 1.5ltr steps would give me what I needed. Am I ok with this?

Thanks

Joe

Hey All,

I'm brewing Northy 12 from NB tomorrow. Been stepping up a yeast starter since Sunday. This may be a stupid question but after the 2nd step the amount of yeast settled out in the bottom doesn't look like any more than after the first time. The starter fermented really good and even blew the sponge stopper out of the flask. Mr. Maltys calculator said 2 1.5ltr steps would give me what I needed. Am I ok with this?

Thanks

Joe

If in both steps you witnessed active fermentation, you should be fine.

Yep. Active fermentation in both steps. Brew United, mr. Malty and beer smith all basically said the same thing for required cells.
Brewed today so we'll see how it does.
Thanks all

Back