Simple bochet help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowmerc777

Reaction score
Ok. This is my second mead brew attempt and im making my own simple recipe. Im makeing a 2 gallon bochet variant. I caramelized 5 lbs of clover honey and let it cool. I basically had a black tacky sheet of honey in my sauce pan which had a nice sort of smokey brownie smell. I added about a gallon of water and slowly warmed it up until the honey was soft enough again to mix and dissolve into the water. After i got all of the honey dissolved and uncaked on the sides of the pan. I added the mix to my 2.5 gallon fermenting jug. I added enough water to fill the jug to 2.25 gallons. I used a small fish tank airating pump with a small inline fuel filter to filter the air to oxigenate the must for around 15 minutes to get maximum air saturation. From here i added 10 raisons, 3 tsp diammonium phosphate, 1.5 ounces of crushed blue lotus floweres and 3 cinnamon whole sticks to the must. I pitched with a sweet mead yeast WLP720. Og=1.083 at this point. I let this fermant for 5 days at around 68° until i had 1 bubble per minute and racked into 2 1 gallon carboys to get the must off of the cinnamon sticks. The fg=1.015 at this point. I tasted the must ant it was VERY dry with a smokey kind of bitter sour flavor. I gave it 2 days and no activity was present in the airlocks and no baby bubbles playing around so i assumed the little yeasties had eaten all of the sugar. With an ABV at around 9.19 i wasnt ready to stop the fermenting so i added 1 cup of table sugar to each carboy. About 3 hours in i could see that fermentation had restarted. I gave it 2 days. It is atill steadily fermenting. Out of curiosity i took a sample to taste and i am very please to have a smokey sweet cinnamon caramel kind of flavor. With it still fermenting and since the yeast im using that should yield around a ABV of 15%. Im affraid i didnt add enough sugar to finish out the fermentation and still have a simi sweet taste. I am thinking of back sweetening it with an apple juice once the yeasties exhaust themselves and cant produce anymore alcohol. One thing i want to do but dont know how to is to add some mild buttery flavering on the backend so i can finnish of with a flavor similar to a buttery cinnamon apple cobbler flavor. Can anyone give me any pointers on how to get there from here? I know its probably very ambitious to make something like this for my second mead attempt but i seem to enjoy diving in head first no matter what end of the experience pool i may be standing at lol.

So, the amount of sugar you ferment and the sweetness of the final mead are only relative if you add too much sugar for the yeast to ferment in the first place. Since you plan on backsweetening you can ferment it dry and ad sweetness later.

I would look into adding some natural or artificial butterscotch flavoring of some sort to the mead. Add it onyl a little at a time so you don't get too much.

Another note: It sounds like you racked WAY too early. You want the yeast to finish the entire fermentation in primary, maybe leaving only a point or two of gravity to ferment in secondary if you're worried about oxidation and headspace.

Either way, it doesn't sound like you are bad off at all.

Cheers.

Back