A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a bike ride I do most days at noon. It takes me past Safety Harbor, where I was surprised to see a house blocking the road. They were moving it two lots over. Odd!

house-67349.jpg

I remember a number of years ago a trailer hauling a modular home dropped it onto the Capital Beltway.

For non-locals, it's easily one of the most congested highways in the country, and someone literally dropped a house on it. I was stuck behind it for the better part of 4 hours. that was an infuriating day.

Years back they moved a house in our town. I don't recall how far it went, but probably a block or two. It was a large 2-story house.

My daughter's close friend lived there and just moved back into it this year after a couple of years in Sparta. I've always wanted to go in there and see how many cracks were created in the plaster!

A few nights ago Marlee and I ran into a bobcat. I was taking her for a walk along the canal at Marlee Run. It stared us down (and won). Marlee is scart of cats. She's a hunting dog, and is a fierce warrior where squirrels and rabbits and such are involved, but if you are part of the cat family, not so much.

Last edited:
Well they couldn't move the lot over two lots, now could they?

The story on the house move: the house sat on a largish (~ 1 acre) lot right on the water. A developer bought the lot with the intention of demolishing the house and building 2 in it's place, then reselling.

A lady who owned an empty lot two doors down wanted to put a house on the empty lot. So, lady talks to developer and gets the house completely free, just has to pay to have it raised and rolled to her empty lot.

Most houses in FL are block walls on concrete slab, making them hurricane safe and impossible to move. This house was stick-built, so it was a good fit for recycling.

A few nights ago Marlee and I ran into a bobcat. I was taking her for a walk along the canal at Marlee Run. It stared us down (and won). Marlee is scart of cats. She's a hunting dog, and is a fierce warrior where squirrels and rabbits and such are involved, but if you are part of the cat family, not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE79TlbryAE

You have a gorgeous dog, what breed is it? Don't know if I'd ask her on a second date though with that string of drool hanging from the mouth :p

This video was also during one of my bike rides, just before entering Philippe Park, about a mile from that house. Kiddies, don't play in the culverts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIc7HhR5sY8

I used to live in Tampa down by MacDill AFB. A big gator used to hang out by a retention pond just around the corner from my house by the school, not too far from the sidewalk. The school kids walked right by there every day.

You have a gorgeous dog, what breed is it? Don't know if I'd ask her on a second date though with that string of drool hanging from the mouth :p

Yep, vizsla. Got her as a pup. Best dog ever (really). She's not really a drooler, but when she's locked onto prey, it happens. I didn't train her to hunt, but she does it very naturally - they are bred for that. Crazy the way those traits are carried in their genes. Note that they are bred to be completely brown - brown eyes that don't show any white (but blue when they are pups), nose/nails/coat is brown.

Moar Marlee pics!

untitled9-58365.jpg

IMG_33061.JPG

img_6343-59714.jpg

Speaking of weird house moves... what kind of insanity is this? 4 doors down from me. Just sold, the buyer cut this 6230 sqft house in half. I guess he's making two houses. Super crazy. The first pic is a google maps pic. House was listed for $1M+. 1.5 acres, 9-car garage in back (!)

split-house-2-67358.jpg

split-house-1-67356.jpg

split-house-3-67357.jpg

Wow. Maybe he is divorcing? Or has some family moving in and wants to remain more separate? Or he's renting it out now?

It's kind of the wrong range of value for that kind of thing.

Marlee and I got attacked by manatees last night, at the canal along Marlee Run. The one right in front of me had a little calf with it (calf doesn't surface in the video).

I think these huge docile animals have protected animal status, but there sure seems to be a lot of them in all waterways.

Last edited:
Being from Indiana, I don't have too many run ins with gators or ocean-y type creatures, so when me and my wife were standing on a pier in St Augustine last year, and a huge manatee surfaced right under where we stood, I kinda freaked out a little at first. Of course, I just immediately assumed it was a great white or some other monster from the deep. I ran about 25 yards, where an older lady was fishing, and laughing, at me. She told me it was the local manatee, and he always comes and investigates when he hears people talking.

I felt silly.

Back