Kegging soft drinks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenc_hmfc

Reaction score
I have been reading the threads on here and see that you can keg bottled beer, would this be possible with a fizzy drink?

thanks

I haven't tried the cola kits but the root beer syrups all have unique flavors. I usually keep Zatarain's on tap because my wife likes it best for rootbeer floats. I also keep diet coke on tap and it tastes very similar to the modern soda fountains. I buy the syrup in 5 gallon bag in box containers at Smart & Final. 3 qts. of syrup and 4 gallons plus a quart of water.

I just ordered my kegging equipment, and I planned on testing it by kegging some home made rootbeer. Do you have to change the keg o-rings when you go back to beer? I thought I read that the soda flavor gets into them.

root beer flavor is particularly bad, in addition to changing the o-rings you'll want to change the beer line. I keep a cobra tap and beer line set just for rootbeer.

what psi do people force carb root beer at? I pre-carb'd 3 gallons of cold water for a few days, then put a gallon of cooled extract/sugar mixture into the keg.

its been close to 30psi for 2 days, and its just barely developing bubbles.

more psi, or just more patience?

malkore said:
what psi do people force carb root beer at? I pre-carb'd 3 gallons of cold water for a few days, then put a gallon of cooled extract/sugar mixture into the keg.

its been close to 30psi for 2 days, and its just barely developing bubbles.

more psi, or just more patience?

seems to me that when you added the soda mixture it would have off-gassed the co2 that you had pre carbed. also soda is usually served at 25-30 psi so to force carb it need more like 40-50 psi methinks( never done it not advocting it just seems that way to me>>>ie. double sevring psi for beer to force soooo):rockin:

happy brewing and consuming:ban:

I make my own spritzer water, I just fill the keg with 5 gallons of water and squeeze fresh strained lime juice into the keg, carbonate it and enjoy. My old lady likes all the flavored carbonated water they sell buy why pay those crazy prices:mug:

Back