First mash = stuck sparge :( Why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewzombie

Reaction score
I've been fairly successful with the extract & steep method and done a stove top partial mash without issue. I decided it was time to build a mini-mash tun (3 gallon with SS braid) and try to do a proper partial mash. I got a stuck sparge almost immediately and could really use some help. I don't know what I did wrong or what to do different next time. Sadly my OG was way off. I was trying to hit a 1.074 and only got 1.055. Probably because I ended up using a strainer to sparge (stove-top styles).

Here's my grains: (5.7 lbs grain)
3.0 lb 2-row Pale Malt
3.0 lb Rye Malt (5 L)
1.5 lb Crystal 60L Malt
0.6 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.6 lb Wheat Malt
+ 0.5 lb rice hulls

I used about 8 L of water in the mash (1.4 L per lb grain). That brought my 3 gallon cooler up to the brim. I could only use another 8 L in the sparge as my kettle only holds 16 L.

Advise? My brewing buddies (who just follow along) laughed their asses off at my disaster! I need help!

I've been fairly successful with the extract & steep method and done a stove top partial mash without issue. I decided it was time to build a mini-mash tun (3 gallon with SS braid) and try to do a proper partial mash. I got a stuck sparge almost immediately and could really use some help. I don't know what I did wrong or what to do different next time. Sadly my OG was way off. I was trying to hit a 1.074 and only got 1.055. Probably because I ended up using a strainer to sparge (stove-top styles).

Here's my grains: (5.7 lbs grain)
3.0 lb 2-row Pale Malt
3.0 lb Rye Malt (5 L)
1.5 lb Crystal 60L Malt
0.6 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.6 lb Wheat Malt
+ 0.5 lb rice hulls

I used about 8 L of water in the mash (1.4 L per lb grain). That brought my 3 gallon cooler up to the brim. I could only use another 8 L in the sparge as my kettle only holds 16 L.

Advise? My brewing buddies (who just follow along) laughed their asses off at my disaster! I need help!

Hmm. My guess would be the high % of rye malt. I have never used one of those stainless braids...maybe they are more prone to stuck sparges? I noticed you used some rice hulls....perhaps next time you need to use more rice when rye represents 40% of the grain bill?

Rye+anything over a slow runoff=stuck.....IMO rye makes wheat look easy...sticky, and sets up like concrete if you compact the grainbed to quickly.

Also, why does your total add up to 5.7 lbs? Thats not what I come up with...not sure if this has anything to do w your missed gravity or not. What was your planned batch size? Just the 3 gallons?

There is some serious starch going on in there, I"ll agree with Riverfrontbrewer. You really need to stir like a mad man to get all the grains soaking so the enzymes can convert the starch. Seems like your Tun was really too full so you couldn't stir the mash easily enough.

Also, why does your total add up to 5.7 lbs? Thats not what I come up with...not sure if this has anything to do w your missed gravity or not. What was your planned batch size? Just the 3 gallons?

5.7 is a typo, but one I carried through in my calculation. 8.7 lb is correct...interesting. That's likely part of the problem. With 8.7 lb grain, I could only get 1 L water per lb in the mash (not including rice) for my 3 gallon container...that's pretty thick no?

Plus the rye makes it even thicker than normal.

That might explain it. :drunk:

Back