White spots on top of my beer in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thornton33

Reaction score
Brewed on 5/7 and placed in primary. Allowed to sit for 10 days in primary maintaining temperature in the low low 60's. Racked to secondary on 5/17, still maintaining low 60's.

Primary was in a plastic bucket, which means I didn't see ANYTHING during the active stage of fermentation. Now it's in glass and I am probably being a little overbearing. The spots look almost like tiny white clumps of bubbly mass (the largest being about the size of a dime in diameter and there are probably only a total of 6 or 7 on the surface). They weren't there when I cracked open the primary and now they are. I'm not sure how to load pictures on here or I would. I've heard a ton of people say it's yeast (reading other posts) but I want a little more direct reassurance. I've done EVERYTHING by the numbers so I would really hate to think I've infected my first batch despite my best efforts.

Don't worry about the picture (you can't post them until you have I think 25 posts). little white "bubble rafts" is common. In fact, Revvy has about 1000 tirades about it. Infections really stand out. Your beer is fine. Everyone of my beers looks like that in a carboy. Read this entire thread for what infections and mold look like: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/post-your-infection-71400/

Sounds like good beer to me. If you have an infection you'll likely know it. It would be far worse than a few floating white patches which are almost certainly just yeast. So relax, have a homebrew, and anticipating tasting some great beer once it's bottled or kegged and ready to drink :mug:

Back