Temptation Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
I'm brewing this with Mike T (http://madfermentationist.blogspot.com/) on the 17th. This will be my first time brewing with anyone(sad I know) that wasn't a friend who doesn't brew.

80% pils
20% flaked wheat
2oz French Oak Cubes in 2 different Chardonnay's(to secondary) soaking 1 month

From Mike: OG of 1.062 (probably use a protein rest in), use relative soft water since it is such a pale beer, sterling to bitter, styrians for a mid boil addition, ferment relatively cool with 3787, give it a few weeks for the yeast to drop out, then rack it onto the oak and add the brett possibly lacto.

He also got some of those Russian River 'bugged' oak chips from James at BBR.com, so we should have actual bugs from RR's barrels to add a bit of authenticity. Also, thanks to Brewtopia I'm going to try just adding the cubes and not the Chard, which should give a good enough Chard flavor. I can always add more if it doesn't come through. I also just read that Vinny does 20min mashes, but I'm not going to try it - I'm not that crazy;)

Whatya think?

That looks awsome! I really like RR brewing, Vinnie is very inovative. I'm know he uses brett, not sure about the lacto.
EDIT: Man, you got some RR "bugged" wood chips , that is amazing!

Looking forward to brewing this one!

Here is my thought on the bugs/critters: Everything I have seen just says that they add 3 strains of Brett to Temptation (probably L, B, and either A or C), however I have also read that he tops off the barrels with Sanctification which is brewed with Brett L and B and lacto. I have also read that Vinnie gets cross inoculation of barrels from one to the other since they are in such close proximity, so they pretty much all have a variety of bugs growing in them. In my recollection the beer is pretty sour, so I am sure there is something besides the Brett doing some of the work, since Brett can get tart but not really sour in my experience.

The chips are from a presentation Vinnie gave at the NHC last year. He took the wood he used in a special batch of Damnation (#23), soaked them in 4 strains of Brett, Lacto, Pedio, and is “house culture” which includes lots of minor oxidative yeast, after a few weeks he spread the chips out to dry. This was all a few months ago so I was a bit worried if they were still alive, but after a few days in a starter there seems to be something starting to grow. I have started to hear people rave about the results they are getting with the chips, so I am really excited to start aging a few beers with them. After this one I am planning on a sour saison.

Oldsock/Mike/The Mad Fermentationist

Oldsock said:

Here is my thought on the bugs/critters: Everything I have seen just says that they add 3 strains of Brett to Temptation (probably L, B, and either A or C), however I have also read that he tops off the barrels with Sanctification which is brewed with Brett L and B and lacto. I have also read that Vinnie gets cross inoculation of barrels from one to the other since they are in such close proximity, so they pretty much all have a variety of bugs growing in them. In my recollection the beer is pretty sour, so I am sure there is something besides the Brett doing some of the work, since Brett can get tart but not really sour in my experience.

The chips are from a presentation Vinnie gave at the NHC last year. He took the wood he used in a special batch of Damnation (#23), soaked them in 4 strains of Brett, Lacto, Pedio, and is “house culture” which includes lots of minor oxidative yeast, after a few weeks he spread the chips out to dry. This was all a few months ago so I was a bit worried if they were still alive, but after a few days in a starter there seems to be something starting to grow. I have started to hear people rave about the results they are getting with the chips, so I am really excited to start aging a few beers with them. After this one I am planning on a sour saison.

Welcome to the forum Mike, now you get to see what an idiot I really am! ;)

Wow, Mike! I'm a big fan, really like your website. It's awesome because I can throw any questions I have about "sour" beers at you.
Cross contamination sounds realistic. I didn't think he used lacto in Sanctification, but if some got in there it would be hard to get rid of. Man I wish I had some of those chips!

Iordz said:
Wow, Mike! I'm a big fan, really like your website. It's awesome because I can throw any questions I have about "sour" beers at you.
Cross contamination sounds realistic. I didn't think he used lacto in Sanctification, but if some got in there it would be hard to get rid of. Man I wish I had some of those chips!

Always happy to answer questions, I have a pretty slow job so I have plenty of free time to talk about funky beers.

Once my sour starter is pitched (6-8 weeks) I’d be happy to dry off the chips and send some your way in exchange for a couple bottles of homebrew. No idea if the blend will change, but there is bound to be plenty of funky microbes still there.

Just shoot me an email in mid-December to remind me ( [email protected] ).

Heh. Funny you should join here, I just found your site last night when looking for some ideas for where to begin with 100% Brett beers.

Looking forward to hearing more about your experiments. =)

-D

Brewed last night at Mikes, we decided to add some of the starter he made from Vinny's oak chips along with the 3787. Everything went smoothly, Mike did most of the work. We added plum jelly to a bottle of gueze to see what a plum Lambic(rare) would taste like, and earlier in the day went to the BURP real ale meeting, 40+ cask beers. Excellent day.

Mike's update on our beer; http://madfermentationist.blogspot.com/2008/02/temptation-clone.html
He is very kindly babysitting my half along with his, and assures me that one way or another it will make its way from D.C. to my new home in West Palm.
Its a little over 4 months old now, so its got a few more months to go by Mike's expectations.
I forgot about this beer in my last count - so the current count is:
Sour beers in carboys: 10
Non-Sour beers in carboy: 0
I think this is pretty funny. :D

Mike bottled this last night and said it turned out very nice. Now I need to get my half of the bottles down to Florida from Washington D.C. Anybody making the drive soon? ;)

Welcome to our forum! I'm a big fan of your blog!!

Hey guys, I thought I'd revive this old thread. I'm looking to follow in Mike and Landhoney's footsteps and give Temptation a go. Anybody else tried to clone this excellent beer in the last...... 5 years? :)

Back