Storing aged hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippox

Reaction score
I was going to pick up a pound of aged hops for future lambics and I am wondering how to store them. If they are already aged, should I go ahead and vacuum seal them and put them in a fridge? Perhaps freezer?

I've read to put hops in a bag and throw them in an attic to age them, but these are already aged and want to know how to keep them for lambics in the next couple years.

My aged hops I bought have been sitting with the bag folded over and stapled shut in my garage. I figure what else can I do to them that already hasn't happened. I think there were sitting on top of my collapsible ladder for 5 months leaned against the wall. Now there somewhere around the wall further aging.....I only used 6oz of them when I brewed my lambic in Feb so I have 10oz left to go roughly.

I keep mine in the freezer with all my other hops. At least I know where to find them.

I picked some wild hops this summer and was actually planning on using them while still pretty fresh on a non-sour ale. However, I was otherwise engaged and they sat in a paper bag on a top shelf in my kitchen for two weeks. Come brew day I opened the bag to find the aroma had drastically changed and was - instead of a pleasantly floral, almost reminiscent of noble hops - more like the smell of hay. I used them anyway, but what can I expect in terms of bitterness and aroma?

Back