Carbonation questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffstuff

Reaction score
Hi there I'm about to bottle my first brew. It's an amber ale 5 gallon
Extract brew
Hopped it with hallertau at 60
Cascade at 30 and 5

I have tried to fin out what if anything I should add to carbonate this.
Sorry if it's stupid question , I have tried to find answers online but got a little lost.. Am I looking too much into it for my first time?? Any help appreciated .
thanks in advance

boil 5 oz sugar in 2 cups water,let cool down put it in bottling bucket,transfer beer to bottling bucket. You can use honey or just about anything fermentable also I just don't remember amounts to use

Thank you, also , if I added nothing to the bottle conditioning would this be completely flat?? , sorry again for stupid questions

No it would not be completely flat. Your beer has CO2 in it from the fermentation. That's why you just can't throw sugar in it. Google "priming sugar calculator" or "carbonation calculator" to get the exact amount you'll need. You need to know how many volumes you want (google that too), what temperature your beer is at the time of priming and what you are going to use to prime with; cane sugar, corn sugar, DME, or whatever.

Here's another trick, instead of using water to dissolve the sugar, use the hydrometer samples you've been taking. Save them in the frig and then boil them with the needed sugar, cool and add back to your beer. Just do a gentle boil.

Good luck.

Tastybrew.com has a priming sugar calculator. It lets you pick a style to carb to and also corrects for residual CO2 in the beer from fermentation at bottling temp. It will show you the various amounts for the different types of sugar.

Thanks for the replies , loads to be studying up on!! Great call on keeping the hydration tests. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back