Briess Vienna

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bh10

Reaction score
Im looking at getting a sack of Vienna and I can get a bag of Briess Vienna for $50 bucks or I can get a bag of Weyermann Vienna for $15 bucks more. My question is, is it worth the extra $15 for the Weyermann? Ive read some people say there's a difference and others say no real difference.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of Briess...I have the choice and use Gambrinus for the 2 row and Weyermann for pilsen. But that is base malts, I often end up with Briess for my other malts because that is what my LHBS carries. However, given my preference, if I was going to make a beer with Vienna as my base I would go with the continental malt before Briess.

I'd always go with Weyermann over Briess. The quality, in my opinion, is just higher.

Weyerman Vienna has more extract potential. So if you are wanting to use it as a base grain pay the extra $15. If not I would assume the Briess would be fine. I have never used the Briess so I don't know about the flavor profile but I have always been happy with Weyermann.

I always keep a bag of weyerman vienna malt in stock I do a smash with vienna and amarillo that is one of my best.

Back