Recipe Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radobrewer

Reaction score
I want to brew a beer using ingredients on hand. I've got pilsner malt, 1 lb white wheat, crystal 15, crystal 45, and carapils. Hops are 1 oz each of CTZ, Falconer's Flight, Galaxy and Cascade. I can buy dry hops later. Yeast will be US-05. I was thinking a pale ale with about 9 lbs of pils, 1 lb white wheat, 1/2 lb carapils and 8 oz of the crystal 15 for the malt bill to be boiled for 90 min. Any suggestions on combinations, especially hops?

I love the grain bill but I have only used cascade and galaxy hops that you have listed. I am keen to try falconer's flight though. Cascade at one oz for 60 min, then an oz each of galaxy, cascade and the FF at 10/5/0...

Cascade at one oz for 60 min, then an oz each of galaxy, cascade and the FF at 10/5/0...

That is the order...1oz Cascade for 60 min, 1oz of Galaxy for 10, 1oz Cascade for 5, and Falconer at flameout or 0.

Recipe actually peaks my interest. . Let us know how you proceed with this one and how it turns out. I love hearing how a leftover recipe came out great.

So I too like the grain bill. I have been making great apa's and ipa's with about 10% oats (in this case wheat is perfect) and about 10% carapils. The only thing I would do - and this is me, like i said the bill already looks good- is a full pound of the carapils and wheat along with the other grains you already have listed

For the hops: CTZ is a great bittering hop and with your grist maybe .75 oz would be a great amount. That should give you an IBU of about 40 using an estimated OG as 1.050 and if the AA of the CTZ is 16.3%.

the rest of those bright hops you have there, I wouldn't add another dose of hops until flameout. I must admit, I have never used galaxy and have no idea how powerful they are. I have read great things and know Citra is a substitute. I use lots of Citra.

Anyway you add those hops at flameout say a half ounce each, let them sit for about 30 minutes while stirring every 5 minutes. Then cool your wort down to like 170-180 and throw the rest in, including that .25 ounce of CTZ you have left over. Let it sit, stir every 5 minutes for another 30 minutes. Don't worry if the temp drops below 170. Just keep keep letting them steep. This whirlpool will add tremendous flavor and aroma to your beer. It also adds bitterness so although the -calculated- IBUs are low, the addition of all of those whirlpool hops adds bitterness. I just don't know how to calculate the finished product. My last 5 IPAs have been done this way and each one is better than the last. My last three beers have been with 20% adjunct/carapils added as I suggested above.

After that whole hour of steeping those hops, cool as usual and pitch.

Rack when completed fermenting and add between 4 and 5 ounces of your dry hop combo. Yes, 4-5 ounces. Sure it's expensive but if you like hoppy beers those dry hops will impart an aroma which adds to the perceived flavor. let those sit for another 7-10 days at about 65*.

I think with that grain bill and complete whirlpool after only 1 bittering addition and those extra 4-5 ounces of dry hops, your finished product will be a light colored and bright smelling/tasting fantastic beer.

Cheers and let us know how it turns out and what you decide to do.

Cool. I like the last suggestions and have wanted to experiment with whirlpooling/hopstanding more. I plugged it into BeerSmith:

Pils Malt Pale Ale

American Pale Ale (10 A)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.79 gal
Boil Time: 90 min
End of Boil Vol: 5.98 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 4.60 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Date: 28 Aug 2015
Brewer: your mom
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.8 %
Taste Rating: 30.0

9 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 81.8 %
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 9.1 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.5 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.5 %
0.75 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 38.3 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 60.0 min Hop 7 9.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Falconer's Flight 7C's Blend [9.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 60.0 min Hop 9 23.1 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 60.0 min Hop 10 6.4 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 11 -

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.059 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.1 %
Bitterness: 76.9 IBUs
Est Color: 4.8 SRM

Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Sparge Water: 4.92 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE

Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Mash PH: 5.20

Mash In Add 13.75 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 4 steps (Drain mash tun , 1.76gal, 1.76gal, 1.76gal) of 168.0 F water
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Keg
Pressure/Weight: 12.54 PSI
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 45.0 F
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Carbonation Used: Keg with 12.54 PSI
Age for: 30.00 days
Storage Temperature: 65.0 F

Looks really good. I think you'll be happy with it. Will you post back with your dry hops and how it turned out?
And how did you get my mom to brew this. She won't help me! Cheers

Back