Ferm started strong at room temp, when to put into ferm chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FARRIER

Reaction score
I have a 5.0 cu ft ferm chamber which i have never used before and will have three batches going by the end of the week. Planning on running it at around 68. I started an ipa with san diego super wlp090 and it is bubbling away. When should i transfer it into the chamber?? Thanks for the help..

now, now now. now.

do it now. keep in mind fermentation is exothermic - so the fermenter will run about 10 degrees higher than the ambient temperature inside your chamber.

if chamber is at 60 - beer is fermenting at about 70

if chamber is at 55 beer is fermenting at 65.

I would say start your beer in the chamber. Flavors are produced as soon as the yeast starts doing its thing. I see no reason to start fermentation at room temp. I usually set my 5.0 cu ft freezer at 66ish then after about 12 hours move down to 58-62 to ferment around 66-70. I measure this with a probe in the wort and one hanging in the freezer and adjust temp accordingly.

I usually chill my beer to below the temp I want it fermenting at and let it rise on it's own to the desired temp, then the thermowell can take over and keep it there. Remember that once the beer starts active fermentation it can be very hard to cool it off so start low and slow and control it from the start.

What exactly is room temp for you guys? I live in norway and our room temp now is about 68F.

Anyhow. I guess you should start it lower then letting it rise. I just read in how to brew that yeast have a harder time acclimatizing if the wort has a higher temp than where you want it at, than the other way around.

What exactly is room temp for you guys? I live in norway and our room temp now is about 68F.

Anyhow. I guess you should start it lower then letting it rise. I just read in how to brew that yeast have a harder time acclimatizing if the wort has a higher temp than where you want it at, than the other way around.

For me, room temperature is about 64 most of the time, cooler in the winter of course!

Ideally, most ale yeast will be at 65 degrees or so, and I've seen fermentation temperature be as much as 10 degrees higher than ambient when a fermentation really gets going. Right now, I have an ale actively fermenting at 72 degrees in this room which is a bit warm but this yeast gets a little fruity in a nice way at that temperature so that was my target. Some ale yeast strains are great at 62 degrees, others shine at 73 degrees, so it really depends on the strain as well as the goals of the flavor.

Well room temp this week has been 78. Got into the ferm chamber and its holding about 68. Well see how it goes. I have always just let the beer go room temp without issue so hopefully this can only make it better.

corkybstewart said:
I usually chill my beer to below the temp I want it fermenting at and let it rise on it's own to the desired temp, then the thermowell can take over and keep it there. Remember that once the beer starts active fermentation it can be very hard to cool it off so start low and slow and control it from the start.

+1

First couple of days are critical for ester Production. Going cold and backing
Into the fermentation is what I do and works well. After the first few days of growth, the beer may actually benefit from temps in the warmer range.

Jamil Z from Brewing Network was just discussing this and it's what he does it at Heretic. After the first few days he'll allow the beer to free rise into the 70s which apparently helps the yeast clean up and metabolize off notes. Seems to work but I'm in my infancy with this fermentation profile.

Wish I could remember which episode....

Back