GOOD on Netflix STREAMING?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
165 Pages so not sure what has or has not been suggested, so if these have been, consider these as confirmation.

Making of a Murderer

The League

House of Cards

Hell on wheels was/is pretty decent. I've kind of fallen off the "wagon" the past season though. Maybe I'll finish it. But the first couple were awesome!

Downloaded a couple of Black Sails episodes. Wife says she is not looking to get into another program, but I think she will change her mind once we are caught up on Vikings... :D

The Ed Norton bored me to sleep, literally. I didn't think they could make one more awful than the cartoony one with Eric Bana and I'm pretty certain that was a "Challenge Accepted!" moment.

"Love" didn't catch us with the first episode. Oddly my wife had trouble following it.

Haven't seen it mentioned but Crafting a Nation is up on NF. Documentary about craft beer. Pretty good watch.

"We Are Twisted F**cking Sister" was pretty good. Neve knew those guys dated back to the 70's.

UHG...half that list sucks and I am a complete Foodie and food show junkie.

- Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives: one of the worst shows on Food Network, ever. Guy basically says the same thing in every joint, he always appears to be pretending to be a chef (despite fact he had to win something to be on Food Network) and there is a long list of wreckage behind that show from restaurants that never survived the blip in popularity.

- Chopped: Not sure how this is a top ten, unless there are ONLY ten shows on Netflix. I will admit that I have watched this show, but only about two or so and then I remember why I stopped watching it. The last one I watched was SO agnsty about his military daddy issues...puke.

- Kitchen Nightmares: This is Jerry Springer meets restaurants. First, Gordon is nothing like this on his actual UK shows. Yeah, he is vulgar and brash, but is is never HORRIBLE from what I have seen of his other shows. This maybe 'popular' with people who like Jerry Springer, but it is not one of the best cooking shows. There is little to no cooking and only completely disgusting information that turns you off actually going to any kind of restaurant.

- Beat Bobby Flay: Bobby Flay is the most egotistical of the food stars EVER. And, he can't even hide it on TV when the camera is rolling. I have watched him treat HIS OWN WIFE in ways that made me cringe on some show (that I immediately stopped watching). Then the whole Iron Chef thing against Morimoto. He will never live that down in my eyes. (I am just now noticing that I was thinking of Throwdown which was just mean.) I guess I am not watching this show, and will not because of Bobby.

- Food Network Star: LOL, like the review I might have stopped watching when Guy won. It just never made sense to focus on the 'star' potential and not the cooking brains/chops.

- Chef's Table: (I have not watched this.) [Edit] - Oh, just watched the preview! This is a great show. I liked every one of the chefs and the stories. The article says too snobby, not at all. That is fine dining and the passion, drive, and consequences of becoming a fine dining chef. I mean seriously, I would go to Argentina and live on this guy's (Francis Mallmann) island just to dig a hole to put meat in and learn from him...and I am not a chef!

- Cooked: I really wanted to like this one. The problem is the food cooking portion is low relative to the preachiness of his agenda. The background information on how we learned to cook is pretty interesting, but I recall the last two episodes really struggling to cover the 'theme' and being mostly his take on how the world is going to fall apart because we all eat fast food. Started well, ended with too much preaching for me.

- I'll Have What Phil's Having: THIS could be considered one of the best. I love it for its quirkyness and his persona is perfect. His wonder and surprise maybe great acting, or it may be genuine, but I love it and he makes us laugh. The calls home to parents are great, as quirky as rest of the show and make us laugh too. I'd like to see this come back if they can.

- The Mind of A Chef: Yes, yes, yes. I kinda binge watched this series. But then Anthony Bourdain is a food god and a food trekie's hero. That carried over to this show and David Chang is pretty impressive in the food world with a good presentation style.

- Parts Unknown: Well, you could make a top ten list of JUST Anthony Bourdain and I would support it all. Part of the show is also the fact that he is even there at all! He is going into war torn places moments after they have opened up and exploring the food. The Layover is a bit schtick'y but even then the food exploration is good to know. (Supposedly Parts Unkown is having a new season? I saw something on Netflix, so added the old shows to my queue.)

- Chopped: Not sure how this is a top ten, unless there are ONLY ten shows on Netflix. I will admit that I have watched this show, but only about two or so and then I remember why I stopped watching it. The last one I watched was SO agnsty about his military daddy issues...puke.

- Beat Bobby Flay: Bobby Flay is the most egotistical of the food stars EVER. And, he can't even hide it on TV when the camera is rolling. I have watched him treat HIS OWN WIFE in ways that made me cringe on some show (that I immediately stopped watching). Then the whole Iron Chef thing against Morimoto. He will never live that down in my eyes. (I am just now noticing that I was thinking of Throwdown which was just mean.) I guess I am not watching this show, and will not because of Bobby.
My wife and oldest kid watch Chopped. Considering them as the target audience I kind of get it and it's a generally friendly non-ego stroking show. There is that one lady with a huge stick of bias up her rear. And a couple other bad judges that pain me to watch but the Latino guy is pretty reasonable from what I've seen. If I can ignore the other two (typically) I can tolerate the show.

As for Beat Bobby Flay, I was horrifically disappointed in the title of the show. It made it sound like Bobby's Ego in normal Bobby fashion would get him in hot water and someone would just beat the crap out of him on the show. Say what you want but I would so totally watch that show. Heck, I'd catch it live. And fwiw, I think Michael Chiarrello was actually worse ego-wise. I think it must just be the environment. I met one of the sous that helped make Michael famous and he was kind of intolerable as well initially but as I got to know him I grew to like him. Still put off by Chiarrello though. But back on topic, Bobby Flay is just one of those people you absolutely love to hate. Perhaps that is his intention. I actually got sucked into Entourage (I was drunk in my defense) with the promise of seeing him get the crap beat out of him but it was a colossal letdown.

Been watching Parks and Rec on Netflix lately. The whole family is hooked on it. So funny.

But I can't decide who's hotter, Ann Perkins (Said with Rob Lowe's voice), or April.

April and Andy are so cute together, though. He's such a doofus.

Been watching Parks and Rec on Netflix lately. The whole family is hooked on it. So funny.

But I can't decide who's hotter, Ann Perkins (Said with Rob Lowe's voice), or April.

Loved that show. First season was a little rough, but then they really found their stride and it got awesome.

Need to watch through it again.

I'd go Ann. April is funky cute but looks like she'd murder you in sleep.

LOL! I was going to say I'd be worried she's pull an Amanda Knox in your sleep!

I think her character is actually pretty lovable inside, she's just projects animosity as a defense mechanism.

I had to look them both up because I don't watch the show. I am basing my judgement solely on a "book by it's cover".

I had to look them both up because I don't watch the show. I am basing my judgement solely on a "book by it's cover".

An excerpt from Season 4 Halloween episode:

Andy: We are throwing a Halloween party at our house.
It's gonna be the greatest thing ever.

April: Someone will die.

Andy: Of fun.

April: And of murder. There's going to be beer, pumpkins Bloody goblins.

Andy: Fake ones. It's gonna be awesome. We have decorations.

April: Dead people that we just murdered.

Andy: Not murdered, but pictures of dead people from TV or movies.

April: Mutilated bodies.

Andy: But fake ones. Candy, dancing, tequila. All kinds of food and snacks.

April: Blood orphans.

Andy: No blood orphans. I don't know what that is.

The Wet Hot American Summer mini-series/prequel is surprisingly good so far (3 episodes in), if you are a fan of the original movie.

I watched that series not knowing there was a movie with the same cast from 10+ years earlier. Brilliantly hilarious series and movie.

The Wet Hot American Summer mini-series/prequel is surprisingly good so far (3 episodes in), if you are a fan of the original movie.

Must check this out. I'm a fan of the original movie. I love the hi-jinks and the way they always twist the expected plot twist into different directions than you expect.

McSons of Anarchy.

My wife watched a bunch of eps this weekend. Blech. She's got a thing for bad boys with issues.

Meanwhile, my older daughter turned me on to Rick and Morty. We watched the last few eps of season 2. Can't wait for the new season to come out!

Season 1 is on Hulu. Season 2 is on sale at Amazon.

Added "You're the Worst" recommended by Grognerd to our list this weekend. Decently entertaining albeit horribly wrong. (Hulu is the only place we found it)

We also trudged through the first season of "Crowded" if for no other reason than we like Patrick Warburton. It's predictable but the father is amusing occasionally and Miranda Cosgrove (iCarly) as the overly serious nerd character is amusing as an alter from the annoying other show my kids watch way too frequently... That said the lady from True Blood is god awful and has no chemistry whatsoever with Warburton (maybe she's a great actress but honestly I don't think I've ever seen it). If you can ignore that one hiccup though it's a tolerable way to pass the time. (Hulu)

We tried "Flaked" this weekend and the pilot was awful. I always at least try an episode beyond it but only made it about 15m and simply couldn't take it anymore. From most descriptions people apparently find Will Arnett funny (to some degree anyway) and maybe it's meant to be a humorous show but honestly I just don't see it. It's mostly just stressful. (Netflix original)

We tried "Flaked" this weekend and the pilot was awful. I always at least try an episode beyond it but only made it about 15m and simply couldn't take it anymore. From most descriptions people apparently find Will Arnett funny (to some degree anyway) and maybe it's meant to be a humorous show but honestly I just don't see it. It's mostly just stressful. (Netflix original)

Yes! I had the same reaction and I like Will Arnett. Although I watched all the episodes.

Yeah I feel it went sideways when he married the Morman chick. I still watch it though.

Yeah, it definitely did. It started out where he was this hard @ss and no holds bad@ss. Sure he never could get ahead but he kicked butt the whole way through it and you knew you didn't mess with him.

These last few episodes, seasons, it just doesn't seem to be the same. Just seems like all the negativity is outweighing his coolness factor.

Back