When you finally make that first good batch of beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phenry

Reaction score
The one that when you serve it to your friends in a glass, they ask you what brewery it's from.

For me it was my Chocolate Stout. 3rd batch overall, 1st AG, and 1st batch where I made a starter and pitched at 65*F. And the recipe? Practically straight out of How To Brew's "Developing Your Own Recipes" section, so pretty freaking simple. It still has a few things I'd like to improve on it, like adjusting the water and possibly different yeast, but overall, I'd say this is better than a few commercial stouts that I've had.

What was your first "Wow, I can actually make good beer" batch?

I have brewed a couple that are outstanding, a few that were good but not the best and one that needs a little work on the recipe. Most of my friends tell me that I need to get a license and start brewing in bulk. but they all drink naty light, and bud light so anything is better than what they are used to

I hope it's the next batch. My first batch so far is undrinkable. I'm going to let it go a few more days in hopes that it changes somehow, but with each passing day, I feel it is getting closer and closer to the sink drain. How discouraging.

Congrats to you though. I hope to someday get to experience the same type of accomplishment as you are right now. :mug:

The one that when you serve it to your friends in a glass, they ask you what brewery it's from.

For me it was my Chocolate Stout. 3rd batch overall, 1st AG, and 1st batch where I made a starter and pitched at 65*F. And the recipe? Practically straight out of How To Brew's "Developing Your Own Recipes" section, so pretty freaking simple. It still has a few things I'd like to improve on it, like adjusting the water and possibly different yeast, but overall, I'd say this is better than a few commercial stouts that I've had.

What was your first "Wow, I can actually make good beer" batch?

I personally have made many that gave ME this moment, But the one that gave my woman and my best friend this moment was an Corney amber, that i made in an attempt to please my Coors Light Drinking best friend. His comment was either a compliment or an insult depending on how you look at it, his words were wow this tastes just like amber bock. My thought was oh great i can make a Michelob product lol. My woman however swore it was the best batch of beer that i have ever made. Funny thing is, i personally wasn't impressed with it.

I hope it's the next batch. My first batch so far is undrinkable. I'm going to let it go a few more days in hopes that it changes somehow, but with each passing day, I feel it is getting closer and closer to the sink drain. How discouraging.

Congrats to you though. I hope to someday get to experience the same type of accomplishment as you are right now. :mug:

Sit the bottles in the closet and forget the batch exists for the next 6-12 months then try it again, if it is still undrinkable then after a year,dump it lol.

Welcome to the club, The Home Brewery Club!

Feels good, doesn't it. Congrats for crossing over! :mug:

Feels_Good_Man.jpg

But on a serious note, I'm actually looking forward to the next 3 batches I have coming up, instead of just wondering if they'll be the least bit drinkable.

I think they've all been good one way or another. But I'd have to say my best so far was my APA. Amber/orange color,light English sort of toastiness. And a thick,velvety head. I'm fermenting an IPA with the same basic recipe right now. Can't wait till Saturday to test/taste it.

So far I've had really good success with all the batches I've brewed except the one that got infected. Hopefully in another 5 months I'll have a really good sour Belgian to enjoy. My first batch was a robust honey porter that I think is probably the best beer I've brewed, but since that isn't my favorite style, the hoppicratic oath (hoppy ipa) is my favorite brew.

My first batch ever, an extract amber, was actually very good. But the first one that I was really, really proud of, my 2nd all grain batch. a mini version of Avery's Maharaja (aptly named, Yuvaraja) back in May 2010. It was delicious.

I'm going to have to say my first all grain batch. It was a stone iPa clone. All the extract batches before it either had issues or were just ok. Once that batch had bottle conditioned my brewing assistant and myself couldn't stop opening bottles. Had a hangover the next day but it was worth it...

I used to homebrew with kits over a year ago but have stopped til recently. I started back up but with malt extract now. I made a Porter but I was disappointed with the after taste and thin mouth feel that all of my homebrews have suffered from until now, my spirits were down thinking that I can't achieve better results than the kits by using malt extract.

I made another batch immediately after I tasted my Porter. I nicknamed it Frankenstein because I threw the hops right into the pot, no bag. They were all slushed at the bottom after the boil.

I got no idea what was going through my mind at the time, but afterwards I thought it'd be terrible. But nope, 10 days in glass carboy, 3 in bottle. By far my best homebrew so far!

It has a nice creamy mouthfeel, very hoppy and lingering after taste (not to my personal tastes but certainly similar to some styles) and roasted nose (I took Crystal 60L and roasted them in my oven for a bit) Definitely far from great, but I am very happy and it has raised my spirits greatly for my batch currently fermenting: English Bitter.

Exciting!

His comment was either a compliment or an insult depending on how you look at it, his words were wow this tastes just like amber bock. My thought was oh great i can make a Michelob product lol.

I've been there too. A coworker told me that he could not tell that a beer I gave him was homebrew. I knew what he meant, and took it as a big compliment.

regulark said:
I used to homebrew with kits over a year ago but have stopped til recently. I started back up but with malt extract now. I made a Porter but I was disappointed with the after taste and thin mouth feel that all of my homebrews have suffered from until now, my spirits were down thinking that I can't achieve better results than the kits by using malt extract.

I made another batch immediately after I tasted my Porter. I nicknamed it Frankenstein because I threw the hops right into the pot, no bag. They were all slushed at the bottom after the boil.

I got no idea what was going through my mind at the time, but afterwards I thought it'd be terrible. But nope, 10 days in glass carboy, 3 in bottle. By far my best homebrew so far!

It has a nice creamy mouthfeel, very hoppy and lingering after taste (not to my personal tastes but certainly similar to some styles) and roasted nose (I took Crystal 60L and roasted them in my oven for a bit) Definitely far from great, but I am very happy and it has raised my spirits greatly for my batch currently fermenting: English Bitter.

Exciting!

What is the difference between kits and brewing with malt extract? Btw I always just. Throw the hops in, after I chill the wort I just leave the lid on the kettle and let it sit for an hour, then drain it through a funnel with a muslin bag in there. Much better untilization

My first AG Noble Pils was my first beer that tasted like it was made in a brewery. I had MANY compliments on that one. Funny thing is, I brewed it hoping to clone SA Noble Pils, but I ended up liking mine even better. I also made an AG German Hefeweizen recently that was fantastic. My brother-in-law, who started extract brewing with me years ago then quit, said "Wow, it doesn't have that 'homebrew' taste."

PA49erFan21 said:

Let's not be hasty. Age helps LOTS of (almost all?) beers. Also, delete your PM's. You only get five (counting sent AND received, unless you upgrade.

I did an India Black Ale not long after my first AG. I've now brewed it twice, and both times, I've had phenomenal feedback. I had a friend take some for his buddys 30th birthday, and the buddy called me half cut raving how it was the best beer he has ever had. So far, that has been my signature beer, and have made other great ones since as well.

My first couple of batches (extract kits) were great. Then I started experimenting and getting into all grain. Made some OK beers but nothing great. Got discouraged. Made a rocking helles and then a dortmunder and everything got right with the world once again.

Back