Any Pinot Noir winemakers out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helibrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This year it looks like the best for Pinot in about 15 years in Sonoma County. Picking is planned for mid-Sept and I'm trying to get my fermentation plan in order. Looking for opinions on cold maceration, pre-fermentation enzymes, etc. My yeast choices are down to BM45 or RP15.

This year it looks like the best for Pinot in about 15 years in Sonoma County. Picking is planned for mid-Sept and I'm trying to get my fermentation plan in order. Looking for opinions on cold maceration, pre-fermentation enzymes, etc. My yeast choices are down to BM45 or RP15.

I used Lalvin dry yeast- I can't remember which one but I could dig out my notes. I had to buy them frozen, as they couldn't ship them fresh, but it still turned out great.

I didn't do much with it, just checked the acid by titration, adjusted, and checked the brix. I did do MLF as that is my preference with pinot noir, but when Saccharomyces and I chatted over a beer during the 2010 NHC (the HBT ID guy, not the yeast strain) he told me he prefers most wines NOT done with MLF and he prevents it. I wish I had halved the batch and done some with MLF and some without, to compare side by side after aging.

He Heli.. Not yet.. but, I have a friend who will be giving me a few buckets of Pinot grapes.. I think they will start picking about the 10th. Nothing like free.. :) He is also the winemaker.. so, I'll have some help. Also going to hit up another friend for a few buckets of Chard and Zin. Another friend who is a home winemaker with a few golds at the Harvest Fair has a press to help. Nothing like living in the heart of three great wine regions... tough life..

I think the picking will commence on or about the 10th.... Just have to be ready with the buckets.

I'm getting 205 pounds from Mahoney Vineyards in Carneros. Think I decided on Rockpile yeast, cold maceration, and pre-treatment with Lallzyme EX, OptiRed, and FT Rouge. I still have time on the Malo decision but I usually put my reds through it.

Picked 250lbs from Hallberg Ranch in Sebastopol. On 4th day cold soak (48degF) under dry ice. Not sure on yeast yet - not going native though. I'm pitching tomorrow. Aiming to hit 83degF at 5brix or so. Clones are 777 and 115, roughly 50-50. Without a ? I will introduce and encourage ML.

They talked me out of PN this year since I've never made wine. In a way, kinda sad cuz I could probably have as much as I want within reason. Instead, they suggested chard and zin.. both, supposedly, a bit easier. Anyhow, they are going to call me when they pick and process the grapes. I'm hoping to get about 185-20 G of Chard must. I don't even know how much wine that will produce.. 10G? When they do Zin.. If I feel comfortable.. I'll try some of that too.. it's my favorite wine.

Interestingly, as I'm typing this, one of my neighbors, Hank and Maggie Skewis brought me some Pinot partial bottles from their tasting room. Good stuff.

I don't think pinot noir is a difficult grape to make wine with.... harder to grow though (thin skins). Would have loved to make a lot more this year, but can only fit so much in the fermenting chamber. Plus, I'm out of beer!

Back