My experience thus far

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan

Reaction score
I just cracked open a stout a made a while back and I can finally say I have a beer ready to drink. It has been a long time since mid December when I started tossing around the idea of brewing my own beer but as I sit here sipping my first brew (of my 2nd batch) I can say it has been worth it.

I just wanted to share a few things I've learned over the course of going from a total noob who knows nothing to a total noob who knows a little more than nothing.

1. Don't use LME - I did this with my first batch and it still tastes funky after about 6 weeks in the bottle. It is possible that there are other causes but I blame LME.

2. Start simple - Read John Palmer and follow that. I was often very concerned about what equipment I might need in a few months instead of just focusing on what was needed now. Purchase just what you need for the following brew - all the toys and more advanced equipment will be there when you need/want it.

3. Buy Recipe kits - Some people might not think this is the best idea but I'll tell you why I do. The hop shortage has nessecitated a lot of hop substituions. It is a lot better to get a kit with the correct hops than trying to sort out hop subsitutions at the LHBS. Also, if you are having trouble with a brew you know that it isn't anything to do with an incorrect recipe. Finally, I've found it is cheaper to buy a kit from midwest than it is to buy from the LHBS. That has just been my experience - your LHBS may be different.

4. Ask questions - Probably the best thing you can do is read all the posts on the forum and soak up as much information as you can. So many things popped up while I was brewing but I knew how to handle it because I'd read all the great advice on here (don't fear the foam!).

But bottom line the MOST important thing - RDWHAHB

Looks like you're off to a great start!

Once you get more familiar with what ingredients taste like, begin experimenting with your favorite recipie and make it your own!

It's probably not the LME. Two batches ia just a little early to make sweeping generalizations like that. Other than that, congrats on the brew!

About the LME, I've noticed the stuff in plastic is a lot better than the stuff in a can. You should try it, since LME is a hella lot cheaper than DME.

Logan, my mother went to IU and I am named after a particular bar there. Can you guess what it is?

Back