another newby ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traylorbrew

Reaction score
i live in southern ca where room temp is in the mid 70's, i set up a johnson control on a fridge to ferment in, i plan to keep it at around 68. my ? is i just bottled a batch , is 68 to low of a temp for the bottles, i was thinking of putting them in with the next batch while it ferments:mug:

I'm sure someone around here would know the math but bottles tend to carb faster the warmer they are stored but 68 should be fine.

However keep in mind that a few very active yeasts can raise temperatures by as much as 10 degrees Fahrenheit and on average about 5-6 Fahrenheit. You may want to compensate for that somewhat on some beers where you want a colder fermentation to reduce esters or fusels.

ok so for fermenting will go by the temp on my carboy. for the bottles my house stays around 73 degrees but with warmer days ahead it can get up to around 80,is that to warm, i plan on them sitting for 3 weeks. not sure what temp to keep them after that

traylorbrew said:
ok so for fermenting will go by the temp on my carboy. for the bottles my house stays around 73 degrees but with warmer days ahead it can get up to around 80,is that to warm, i plan on them sitting for 3 weeks. not sure what temp to keep them after that

Just keep them room temp until ready to drink. I usually keep them in the fridge for a week before I drink them. Cold crashes the beer.

i live in southern ca where room temp is in the mid 70's, i set up a johnson control on a fridge to ferment in, i plan to keep it at around 68. my ? is i just bottled a batch , is 68 to low of a temp for the bottles, i was thinking of putting them in with the next batch while it ferments:mug:

Fermenting creates heat. You should set the controller to at least 62*F as ambient temp. You brew will be warmer than that. I have a fermenting freezer here in Hawai`i and ambient temp is close to 60. Bottle conditioning is good at 70.

80 isn't too hot. A lot of Belgian breweries bottle condition in the upper 80s to 90s.

Latest posts

Back