Apps for brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RUNningonbrew

Reaction score
Any good apps out there for brewing? I have brew pal but it doesn't seem to calculate things correctly

RUNningonbrew said:
Any good apps out there for brewing? I have brew pal but it doesn't seem to calculate things correctly

Ibrewmaster is the "other one" that people use... I have no experience with it but you may want to search the software section here and read up.
I used brewpal a lot until I got beersmith for my pc. I thought it was fairly accurate. There are settings on almost every page... Be sure to tweak the settings based on your set- up if you decide to stick with it.
I use "2008 BJCP styles" app for reference ( its a little cheesy ) and I have a shortcut to...
http://www.brewersfriend.com/bottling-calculator/

... On my iPod desktop that I use RELIGIOUSLY.... Always wondered why brewing programs always seem to forget that kind of stuff

I have been using the BJCP styles app religiously for several months, since I am taking the exam in a few days.

I haven't used BrewPal in a while, as I tend to develop all my recipes in Beersmith nowadays, but I never had issues with calculations being wrong when I was using it. As mentioned before, make sure all the settings are appropriate to your equipment and brewing setup.

One thing that I really like in BrewPal, and still use frequently, is the little SRM color cards reference.

Brewmate is not a bad little program. It supports beerxml and does a nice text export as well.
Brewtarget is also not too bad. It will run on mac, windows or linux.

Brew World! OK - this one is not necessarily an app for brewing, but if you love beer and travel a lot, this one is great. It uses the GPS on yor phone to find breweries near you. Usually will provide a list of the beers they have on tap, reviews, website links, etc., and will even link to google maps for navigation.

I use iBrewmaster. Its great, very powerful and handy on brew days (with the time and for adjustments) and post brew for tracking batches. Also it includes Northern Brewer recipes.

I deleted iBrewMaster as it was useless (sorry seatbelt LOL). Waste of money for me as it does not tell me what I always need to know in the pinch!

For instance. I have 4 lb of grain at 68 degrees and add them to 1.5 gallons of water and I want the water to end up at 152 - what does the original water need to be at.

Beeralchemy is my personal choice. It's available for iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

+1 for BrewPal

Super clean interface and nice tools. I use the timers and built in style guidelines regularly.

Grinder12000 said:
I deleted iBrewMaster as it was useless (sorry seatbelt LOL). Waste of money for me as it does not tell me what I always need to know in the pinch!

For instance. I have 4 lb of grain at 68 degrees and add them to 1.5 gallons of water and I want the water to end up at 152 - what does the original water need to be at.

You can edit the grain temp and water volumes on iBrewMaster and cuatomize it for your set-up. I always hit my temps. I love the app and use it on my iPad for brew days. The timers are a great feature.

Grinder - I think I recall you saying that on another thread too. As the other fellow said, you need to set the parameters for your brewhouse. Easy enough to do an works like a charm. I also hit my numbers dead on.

Back