Cutting Tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
Quick question about cutting tubing for my new frame. I have 1 1/2" and 2" square tubing and was wondering if anyone had attempting cutting these items with a sawzall before. The other option was to use a steel cutting blade on my Skil saw.

I don't have access to a welding shop or the funds to have it done. Understandably neither are good options but it is what I have to work with currently.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks

You could try either, but I think I'd go with the steel cutting blade on the Skil Saw.

Quick question, if you aren't welding then how will you attach these cut pieces to one another?

A sawzall will work, but I have a heck of a time cutting an nice square cut on tubing with a sawzall.

I would recommend using the skill saw with a metal blade and using a speed square as a guide like in the photo below. This shows it being done on wood but it will work with the tubing.

norm.jpg

Thanks for the responses!

I will be welding the tubing together since my father has his own welder but I don't have access to a steel band-saw or steel chop saw. I am willing to take the extra time and patience to cut with the skill saw as long as I can get it through it.

Not sure about what tool rental places you have, but down here we have "ABC Rental" and I can rent a Steel chop saw for $35/day and then I just have to buy the fiber disk.

For less than $100 you could use a tool that will gaurantee 90* cuts on your tubing.

Cheers

sawzall will give you uneven cuts.

I used a cut off saw with a disk. Unfortunately the disk would flex slightly when it was halfway through the tubing. None of my cuts were true 90*.

So my sculpture is not completely square. But its stable and will not come apart without a torch.

Also, I tried using a cut off disc to trim a piece. Which was a bad idea. Its pretty easy to make a crappy cut. Although I did manage to place a 23" cross bar in a 20" space. I had to use my plasma cutter to take off 3". It actually came out fairly good.

Forgot to add. The nice thing about metal, is that you can add to it.
If you cut a piece uneven, or with a gap. You can bridge the gap when you weld.

Harbor Freight has a 6" cut off saw for $30; disks run like $2 per...not a bad deal and has a clamp on it that is adjustable to 45 degrees

The harbor freight disks wear fairly quickly. So buy a bunch if you do go that route.

I have the 14" cut off from them. Goes through 1/8th inch fairly quickly. I did buy a triple reinforced disk though.

i bought metal cutting disks for my cheapo ryobi 10" chop saw. made great cuts and you can get them at HomeDepot for $100 with a laser cut guide. Or perhaps post in your local area forum to see if there's somebody with the proper tools.

i wouldn't dream of trying to assemble a rectangular structure without fully square cuts. take the time to find or buy the tool for the job.

My elcheapo horizontal band saw makes some pretty wonky cuts sometimes depending on blade condition but that doesn't stop me from welding up a square structure. It's all in the setup, clamping and measuring.
I have never used a skil saw with a metal cutting blade but I have used a sawzall with a straight blade to make some pretty good cuts. You have to make sure to get the straight blade and not the one that angles down so you get a nice smooth back and forth action, and go slow.

I bought a 14" abrasive chop saw from Harbor Freight. I figured it'd be good for a couple of projects, then give up the ghost. Instead, I've abused the living crap out of it for 5 years, and it refuses to quit. It's among the best $60 I've spent for the shop to date. It would be perfect for your project.

i bought metal cutting disks for my cheapo ryobi 10" chop saw. made great cuts and you can get them at HomeDepot for $100 with a laser cut guide. Or perhaps post in your local area forum to see if there's somebody with the proper tools.
5 years and 3 months ago, I started my wood cutting chop saw on fire with that technique. Plastic + sparks = broken.

Local brew club member might have tools? Did you buy the metal, if so can you bring it back and have them cut it?

OP stated he didn't have funds to get it done, more than likely he doesn't want to be buying tools.

When I bought my tubing from the metal monger. They offered to cut to the sized I wanted. They wanted $1 a cut.

In hindsight, it would of been quicker and cheaper than using my home tools. Unfortunately I had not planned on them cutting. So I did not bring the plans with me.

If I build again, I will probably have them cut. Since they have a giant bandsaw, and can cut perfect 90* angles.

Local brew club member might have tools? Did you buy the metal, if so can you bring it back and have them cut it?

OP stated he didn't have funds to get it done, more than likely he doesn't want to be buying tools.

I didn't have to buy the tubing, it was a FREE. A score that I picked up at work during a demo process. I ended up with over 40 feet of 1 1/2 and 2" tubing.

My plan is a modified Brutus stand. No air tight welds for gas just a standard sized Brutus design with a few holes to find some of the wiring.

I'm with Yuri, HF occasions to make some good stuff. I got a grinder from them and refurbished a sheet of ship plate steel to make a welding table with it. I brutilized it and it wouldn't quit. You could also look on craigslist for a chop saw and toss a HF metal cutoff disk for the task to save some coin. I have used HF cutoff disks on my chop saw and it has always worked great.

If you're going to cut with a circ saw, I suggest scoring the tube on all 4 sides, so you have a reference mark. Once you cut, you can grind the pieces square to the marks. Then you'll end up with the same sized pieces. Which is really good when you're trying to weld a square.

Also, get a welding magnet or make a jig to hold your pieces square. It will make your life easier in the long run.

B

Latest posts

Back