Hydrometer sticks to side of Wine Thief

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
I just started using a carboy, so I had to get a wine thief to take hydrometer readings. The problem I'm having is that my hydrometer sticks to the side of the wine thief. It's hard to explain, maybe I can take a picture next time. The instructions said to spin it to get rid of the bubbles and to get the hydrometer off the side, but it never works. Not that it's a big deal or anything, but I'm slightly worried my gravity readings are being effected by the fact that it's sticking to the sides of the wine thief. It also makes it rather hard to read the actual reading...anyone else have this problem?

Yeah, that's why I switched to using a turkey baster and one of those testube cylinders from my lhbs. I had a hard time getting the hydro free and off the sides of the theif, and also (I need reading glasses) being able to read it with the foam that often gets drawn up in a winetheif. So I scrapped mine in favor of the other method.

If it gets stuck in the test tube, it's easier to either give it a spin, OR tap the sides of the jar and dislodge it, so you might consider trying that route as well.

:mug:

Yep, deal with the same issue. I fill the thief fairly full so the top of the hydro is sticking out, Then spin it, tap the top to make reset and repeat until you are somewhat convinced you get a good reading.

I have also found that if you are using starsan to sanitize, the starsan bubbles can make it even more difficult. I used to keep the sample so I would empty and refill the theif from the carboy several times to "rinse" the starsan out. Now I don't worry about keeping the sample so I empty the sample into a glass and pour it back into the thief several time to get rid of some of the bubbles.

I broke my hydrometer this week so I am in the market if you find one that has magical powers (doesn't stick, has graduations that are big enough to read, unbreakable, etc...)

Good luck.
Ed

I got a glass test cylinder to use, that way the hydrometer doesn't stick to the side. I did buy a plastic hydrometer, I had to calibrate it in distilled water but now it matches my Refractometer and distilled water.

I use the thief to draw the sample amount from the carboy, then drain the thief into a champagne glass. After letting the trub and yeast settle in the champagne glass for 10 minutes or so, I pour the sample out of the champagne glass back into the thief, with the hydrometer inside. This process removes most of the bubbles, as well as ensures that I don't have any particulate matter that might affect the reading.

One other thing I've noticed: if you don't have the entire thief totally perpendicular, it will stick to the sides. In other words, it's not enough just to center the top part of the hydrometer in the liquid, you need to also make sure that the base of the hydrometer is not pushed up against the edge of the thief. If it is, it will, through the magic of hygroscopic action, "stick" to the side of the thief, giving you a false reading. So it's best to make sure that you're holding it at a 90-degree angle.

I use the thief to draw the sample amount from the carboy, then drain the thief into a champagne glass. After letting the trub and yeast settle in the champagne glass for 10 minutes or so, I pour the sample out of the champagne glass back into the thief, with the hydrometer inside. This process removes most of the bubbles, as well as ensures that I don't have any particulate matter that might affect the reading.

One other thing I've noticed: if you don't have the entire thief totally perpendicular, it will stick to the sides. In other words, it's not enough just to center the top part of the hydrometer in the liquid, you need to also make sure that the base of the hydrometer is not pushed up against the edge of the thief. If it is, it will, through the magic of hygroscopic action, "stick" to the side of the thief, giving you a false reading. So it's best to make sure that you're holding it at a 90-degree angle.

I broke my first hydrometer, second one would not float vertical the bottom weight was off to one side causing your sticking problems. I use a refractometer now. It's made for anti-freeze and battery acid % charge condition, correction chart made off a bier refractomer. Call me cheap Exide battery gave me this $140 unit at a job site after we purchased millions of dollars of batteries for the Western Pacific Ocean FAA scope backup system.

Back