Priming concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcr122

Reaction score
Did I screw up my first 'good' batch? I bottled my first batch yesterday. I primed with the sugar that came with the kit, a dunkelweizen, and boiled it in two cups of water. I began siphoning into my bottling bucket and as I siphoned I slowly added the priming solution. Now that I am done, I am afraid that the solution may have been too hot. It was no longer boiling but still rather hot. Will this screw up the beer?

Nope. The yeast will thwart your attempts to ruin their tasty by product. As a result, I am sorry to report to you that your foolish attempt to ruin your beer will fail. The yeast will over come.

I add the boiling liquid to the beer as I siphon. People say it will kill some of the yeast, but it's really not an issue. There's still a LOT of yeast left in the other 4.8 gallons that won't be killed.

Thanks for all the support I have gotten from this forum. This is the go-to spot for home brewing needs. I can't wait to taste my beer!

Two cups of HOT water in 5 gallons of cool beer won't make it hot throughout. But beware..this will not be your last worry......:p

i always cool my priming solution in an ice bath. sure 2 cups vs. 5 gallons...yer not gonna kill any yeast.

it just makes sense to me, because I know nothing about fluid thermal dynamics and how well two fluids of different temp and viscosity mix into a homogenous end product.

Back