The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course the first goal of the Premiere League is a Spurs own goal. And they're playing well too :mad:

Yeah, if only they had paid a bunch of money for a right back from MLS team Sounders FC that they could put in instead of Walker...

Another week of MLS comes to a close, but probably the most interesting bits happened off the field as the trade window closed; whether you like it or not these are (mostly) the teams until the season ends. Looking at all 10 of the teams that used TAM money would take a while, as would looking at all the moves, but there are three teams in particular worth focusing on.

1. NYCFC Got Their Big Names...
Lampard was supposed to be in New York at the start of the season, so his arrival wasn't a huge surprise, Pirlo was rumored for weeks before his signing, today NYCFC finally got to use them. Unfortunately for NYCFC Lampard and Pirlo couldn't help them beat the NYRB ; this rivalry (if you can really call it that) has started with dominance by the suddenly more frugal MLS side. Pirlo is slow, like I mentioned last week, which means that the players around him have to work overtime on defense. Lampard is a different story, his game this evening showed that he still has the pep in his step necessary to compete in MLS, but he needs to stay healthy.

2. ...but the Galaxy May Have Made the Bigger Splash...
Giovanni Dos Santos may be one of the more important signings in MLS history, and if you want to talk about things that truly help connect with the latino fanbase it's these sorts of signings, not the pandering of the now departed Chivas USA. Plenty of Dos Santos love was on display in LA and he looked dangerous in his first MLS match against the depleted Seattle Sounders. Steven Gerrard might be the bigger name internationally but Dos Santos is a much bigger name in southern California. What's more, the Galaxy got Dos Santos not at "retirement age" but when he's fresh and young. If anything might make Mexican and Mexican American fans pay more attention to MLS, this is the signing.

3. ...But the Sounders May Have Made the Smarter Moves Long Term
Nelson Valdez's signing by the Sounders and their myriad of other smaller name might not set the fanbase on fire, but they may be the smarter signings in the long term. While NYCFC has an age problem, what's not being talked about is that LA probably has a money problem. LA used some of its TAM money to buy down the remaining half of the season's contract for Omar Gonzalez, exactly how much isn't clear, but Gonzalez makes $1.2 million per year, halve that and you get $600,000 and you'd need to buy him down to approximately $200,000 (half of the league max) to get him down to "non DP" levels or about $400,000 of the available $500,000. Unless Gonzalez is willing to take a big cut or his contract is set to step him down to a much smaller amount, LA needs to come up with approximately $800,000 in either regular allocation money or TAM money. Given that Peneda was rumored to have been let go due to salary cap issues it seems very likely that LA doesn't have a big pile of allocation money. If Gonzalez isn't traded or his contract restructured, I think we'll hear a lot of trade headlines in which Galaxy players head to other teams in exchange for allocation money this offseason. Of course, this logical talk is cold comfort to Sounders fans after their 3-1 thrashing at the hands of the Galaxy right now, but the Sounders may have made the smartest moves in terms of talent for money.

4. Chicago Continue to Sift Through the Garbage Pile
The Chicago Fire acquired Brazilian striker Gilberto from Toronto FC as part of a series of deals that also resulted in Didier Drogba heading to Montreal. Chicago just can't seem to resist going through other team's garbage and hoping to find some shining jewels and Gilberto is a prime example of that, the striker scored only 7 goals for Toronto in 28 appearances and he's been on loan ever since to clear up a DP slot. How Chicago thinks they can turn Gilberto into glittering gold I don't know, but Gilberto never looked like a DP, then again he'll fit in with all of Chicago's other non DP's getting paid DP money.

5. Didier Drogba Makes Money Sense, But Might Not Make Tactical Sense
Didier Dogba's arrival in French speaking Montreal resulted in him being immediately mobbed by reporters and fans and as far as filling stadiums he will almost certainly be a success. Tactically speaking Drogba doesn't make great sense, Montreal have lived and died this season by quick, counter attacking soccer and while Drogba isn't as slow as Pirlo, a quick counter-attacker is probably no longer a description that can be applied to him. What's more, Drogba, at the age of 37, can't have more than a couple of years left in the tank, so this isn't a long term move. Butts in seats may be the reason for Drogba more than anything though, and in that respect I think Drogba will be an absolute success.

Good write-up. But I think Bruce will handle the Omar situation. He's really good at acquiring and moving Garber Bucks.

Good write-up. But I think Bruce will handle the Omar situation. He's really good at acquiring and moving Garber Bucks.

Well, I certainly think they can keep Omar, I just think they're going to have to give up a lot of smaller pieces to other clubs to work things out if they do. Those smaller pieces might be a bigger issue than the Galaxy might realize, Marcelo Savras is a great example of that.

Well, I certainly think they can keep Omar, I just think they're going to have to give up a lot of smaller pieces to other clubs to work things out if they do. Those smaller pieces might be a bigger issue than the Galaxy might realize, Marcelo Savras is a great example of that.

This is true. It would be a huge loss to lose a low-cost, hard working youngin like Juni or Lletget, or to lose potential in Nacho or Mendiola. But Bruce is also known to not use draft spots, which can fetch a hundred thousand (if not more) in allocation.

This is true. It would be a huge loss to lose a low-cost, hard working youngin like Juni or Lletget, or to lose potential in Nacho or Mendiola. But Bruce is also known to not use draft spots, which can fetch a hundred thousand (if not more) in allocation.

I'm not familiar with MLS free agency, when is Zardes a risk of leaving?

I'm not familiar with MLS free agency, when is Zardes a risk of leaving?

There is no free agency... well, technically there is no free agency until you've been around for several years (maybe closer to eight years.) I don't think the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) has been finalized yet so that rule hasn't been solidified.

MLS owns all of the player contacts. So I think Zardes is sticking around because I don't think Bruce wants to let him go anytime soon. The only thing I could think of that would see him leave would be a massive offer from a European club. Even if there are going to be salary cap issues I don't think Zardes would even be considered for lightening the load.

There is no free agency... well, technically there is no free agency until you've been around for several years (maybe closer to eight years.) I don't think the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) has been finalized yet so that rule hasn't been solidified.

MLS owns all of the player contacts. So I think Zardes is sticking around because I don't think Bruce wants to let him go anytime soon. The only thing I could think of that would see him leave would be a massive offer from a European club. Even if there are going to be salary cap issues I don't think Zardes would even be considered for lightening the load.

So basically if a European club comes in and offers like 5 million for Zardes he's probably gone?

I'm just curious cause I can totally see it happening. Zardes is a player who's star is on the rise. Right now buying MLS homegrown players is a good cheap bargain. Getting a quality player for about 4 million USD is hard to pass up I'd imagine. If I was an italian or German side who's more mid, lower table who needs a striker or winger I'd go after him.

So basically if a European club comes in and offers like 5 million for Zardes he's probably gone?

I'm just curious cause I can totally see it happening. Zardes is a player who's star is on the rise. Right now buying MLS homegrown players is a good cheap bargain. Getting a quality player for about 4 million USD is hard to pass up I'd imagine. If I was an italian or German side who's more mid, lower table who needs a striker or winger I'd go after him.

So, here's the lowdown on MLS rookie contracts, MLS free agency, etc. So, as a rookie Zardes is under contract for, I believe, three years. MLS free agency only exists for veteran players, players that have been in the league for 8 years or more and that are 28 years of age or older. So let's say Zardes gets to the end of his rookie contract, if he wants to keep playing in MLS he can only accept what LA offer him, go to another league, or convince another MLS team to trade for his rights and offer him a better contract. If Zardes leaves and then wants to come back, he's in the same boat as before, he can take what LA offers or go elsewhere. That said, I suspect Zardes' days in MLS are numbered unless LA or another team is willing to give him DP money. Transfermarkt, which is a pretty good site for these sorts of things, marks Zardes as being worth 1.3 million Euros, if a team comes calling I think LA will sell him.

It's possible but my thinking on the subject is that Bruce made him a project player from the start. I think his intrinsic value is worth more than his face value.

Plus, The Don probably has an interest in keeping Yanks in the league.

It's not necessarily Bruce or Garber's decision, though. Zardes is, I believe, coming up either this offseason or the next on the final year of his rookie contract, at that point he's a free man to go where he wants to outside of MLS. So if MLS is going to keep Zardes, this offseason they need to offer him a DP contract. The thing is, I'm not sure any other team in the league wants to give him a DP contract, he's shown a lot of potential but those DP spots are precious.

It's not necessarily Bruce or Garber's decision, though. Zardes is, I believe, coming up either this offseason or the next on the final year of his rookie contract, at that point he's a free man to go where he wants to outside of MLS. So if MLS is going to keep Zardes, this offseason they need to offer him a DP contract. The thing is, I'm not sure any other team in the league wants to give him a DP contract, he's shown a lot of potential but those DP spots are precious.

If he has the option to leave the league I can see him going to Liga MX, I think he'd play extremely well there.

If I was a forward on the same team as Dos Santos and Gerrard, I'd be in no rush to leave. A higher salary is always nice--or so I've heard--but if you're good, distinctive-looking and a starter for both the USMNT and LA's only professional football team, you'll get endorsements, girls and everything else that comes with fame. If you were 23, you rather live on the beach and hang out with movie stars, or spend the winter rubbing elbows with the glitterati of Stoke-on-Trent?

If I was a forward on the same team as Dos Santos and Gerrard, I'd be in no rush to leave. A higher salary is always nice--or so I've heard--but if you're good, distinctive-looking and a starter for both the USMNT and LA's only professional football team, you'll get endorsements, girls and everything else that comes with fame. If you were 23, you rather live on the beach and hang out with movie stars, or spend the winter rubbing elbows with the glitterati of Stoke-on-Trent?

Would you rather make $2 million per year in Stoke-on-Trent or $125,000 per year in LA? Because $125,000 is what Zardes makes right now.

Speaking of paychecks....
Does anyone have any idea what a USMNT call-up pays?
I assume its a player by player basis, but I wonder what someone like Zardes makes if he gets called up?

If he has the option to leave the league I can see him going to Liga MX, I think he'd play extremely well there.

As much as he would do well there, I think he commands too much of a salary on the open market now to head to Liga MX. I'd say, at the least, Zardes on the open market commands a low 7 figure salary, Liga MX does have players paid that well, but generally they're Mexican. Likely, Zardes will follow a similar path to Deandre Yedlin, head to a mid table or low table EPL team or maybe to the Eredivisie.

Speaking of paychecks....
Does anyone have any idea what a USMNT call-up pays?
I assume its a player by player basis, but I wonder what someone like Zardes makes if he gets called up?

Technically, nobody playing for any national team makes money off of it. Generally their meals and travel are paid for along with a small stipend for entertainment and what-not. The only exception is that bonuses are paid out if the team does well in a tournament or something similar. Even then, those bonuses are relatively negligible in star soccer terms. I seem to recall the USMNT players received a $70,000 bonus for getting out of the group.

Technically, nobody playing for any national team makes money off of it. Generally their meals and travel are paid for along with a small stipend for entertainment and what-not. The only exception is that bonuses are paid out if the team does well in a tournament or something similar. Even then, those bonuses are relatively negligible in star soccer terms. I seem to recall the USMNT players received a $70,000 bonus for getting out of the group.

Actually you do get paid. But it's a pittance. Usually a few grand per game. If that.

To add though. FAs are not required to pay players. Most big ones do in order to keep guys playing.

Actually you do get paid. But it's a pittance. Usually a few grand per game. If that.

To add though. FAs are not required to pay players. Most big ones do in order to keep guys playing.

This is true, but they don't call it "pay", it's a "stipend" for your trouble and for any expenses that come up outside of food and hotel. That's why Jordan Morris can get paid by the USMNT for a friendly without running afoul of their rules on paying "student athletes" (ugg, that stupid term) but he can't receive bonus pay as "man of the match" or something similar. It's a bull**** accounting thing, but it works I guess. Either way, in terms of professional athletes making multiple millions of dollars, these "stipends" are nothing, as you noted.

Would you rather make $2 million per year in Stoke-on-Trent or $125,000 per year in LA? Because $125,000 is what Zardes makes right now.

Spotrac had it at $223K, although that doesn't really change anything. I think an American star for the Galaxy, especially one like Zardes, can make a lot more off the field than a guy not in the 18 can in England. But beyond that, I think athletes chase the money too often. More money always sounds better, but that excitement is pretty fleeting. How much of anyone's happiness is dependent on money, and how much is about friends and family, feeling useful and appreciated at work, or even the weather?

It's easy for me to say this guy should have signed here, but other than the money, I have no idea what's important to any of these guys. All I know about Zardes is that he's from LA and that he dyes his hair so his grandmother can find him easily on the field. That's two good reasons not to leave, unless he speaks Dutch and grandma's cable package gets the Eredvisie in HD. But ultimately, almost everybody goes to the highest bidder.

Zardes likely garners more serious endorsements on his USMNT performance then on his club performance. THough that doesn't hurt mind you. But you think, if you see US players in national commercials, I can only think of 5, Donovan, Dempsey, Howard, Bradley, and Zusi. Only the last one you'd argue is a small fry on the national stage and that's not really true. I severely doubt Dempsey makes much more on endorsements for the sounders than he did with Fulham or Tottenham.

As Talgrath said, if someone overseas will pay him, he'll go or LA will have to make him a DP. I would make him a DP and get rid of Omar personally. While obviously a very good player, I'd much rather build around Dos Santos and Zardes. And if that happens soon, you really can't get rid of Keane or Gerrard, who'll buy them?

For athletes, I think money is a bigger factor than most people realize, for public relations' sake they'll say they love the city and the fans and the team, but ultimately it's a job and like any job you'll go to where the pay and benefits are the best. Most pro athletes are keenly aware that they have only a few years to make their "big" money and that their careers after it's over will be far less glamorous and profitable; and if the athlete isn't, their agent is. Do you really think Michael Bradley wanted to go to Toronto FC over say, New York Red Bulls where he got his start (back when they were the Metro Stars) and where most of his family lives or Chicago where he spent much of his youth? Of course not. But Toronto was willing to pay him $7 million a year, the Fire simply aren't able to match that and at the time NYRB didn't have a slot open (and weren't so keen on a big money signing). Zardes may like LA a lot, but I guarantee you if he can make 10x the money overseas or for another MLS club, he'll do it.

As Talgrath said, if someone overseas will pay him, he'll go or LA will have to make him a DP. I would make him a DP and get rid of Omar personally. While obviously a very good player, I'd much rather build around Dos Santos and Zardes. And if that happens soon, you really can't get rid of Keane or Gerrard, who'll buy them?

I'd have to choose to keep Omar. The W-D-L stats of when he's playing vs not are ridiculous. The defense is immensely better with him at the helm (it's an even bigger disparity when you look at the Omar/AJ pairing.)

I'd rather they win a cup by constantly grinding out 1-0 wins just like in 2012 then have a crazy attack that may or may not win games.

Omar is a great defender. I'd rather get rid of Gerrard or Keane myself, but the issue with them is their contract and who will take them. Not that they're not good players of course. They're just old.

I can't imagine how much fun Bruce Arena must be having, he gets to put a diamond attack with Keane up top, Zardes and Dos Santos wide and Gerrard behind him. Of course I'm not making the roster, so I have no say, but I would have so much fun with that.

Another week of MLS, we're getting towards the end of the season and points are becoming harder and harder to come by.

1. Shoot Out in Kansas City
Defense was optional in Kansas City this week as the 2nd and 3rd place teams in the west faced off in a game that eventually ended 4-3 in favor of Sporting KC. In a way, this is hardly surprising, both teams have had shaky defense all season but excellent offense; what's more, KC has more 4+ goal games than any team in the league besides Columbus Crew. Sporting KC might just sneak up on the top two in the league, with the win against #2 Vancouver they have 40 points in 22 games, their 1.82 pts per game is better than anyone in the league; with 4 games in hand Sporting KC could easily overtake LA as the top team in the west and could even take the Supporter's Shield if they keep this pace. Sporting has a pretty easy path forward too, they only have 2 games remaining against top 3 teams in either east or west, a showdown with Columbus a few weeks from now and they finish their season against LA.

2. Chicago and Philadelphia Was a Bad Choice
At some point, some executive somewhere said "Chicago vs Philadelphia in week 26 is going to be a match up people will watch", that executive was an idiot. Maybe it was some executive at Fox who thought that two big city teams must be good, maybe it was someone in MLS that thought both would be scrapping for a spot in the east; it doesn't matter because while the game was decently entertaining thanks ot 6 goals, it was also pointless. Chicago and Philly's 3-3 draw on Sunday, helped neither team in any way as both are still the basement dwellers of the east. What's more, even if one of them had won the game, it wouldn't have mattered, right now both teams are just competing not to be last.

3. The Sounders Shift Into Obadrive
Sorry, but the pun had to be made. Obafemi Martins came back into the Sounders line up after two months away on injury and the impact was immediate and clear, Martins picked up a brace and, were it not for a badly taken PK, would have had a hat trick. Shiny new designated player Nelson Valdez got a goal and an assist in the process too. Pretty much the entire team looked better with Martins back in the line up, even once Martins was on the bench their Brazilian midfielder Thomas added another goal to Orlando City's woe after scoring his first. The Sounders no longer have a shot at the Supporter's Shield, but with Martins in the line up they're unlikely to miss the playoffs and will be a dangerous team to face. For Orlando City, the disappointing result means they have an even steeper hill to climb if they don't want to miss the playoffs.

4. The West's Playoff Picture Crystalizes...
With this week's results in, the playoff picture is becoming much clearer for the previously chaotic west. As things stand now, it looks like LA, Vancouver and Sporting KC will all be fighting for that top spot (the smart money is on Sporting). Portland, Dallas and Seattle are all going to be fighting for position in the bottom half of the playoff picture. Pretty much everyone else in the west is out at this point though, Houston and San Jose have games in hand, but their recent form has been less than spectacular and they would need to see resurgent Seattle or solid Dallas drop a bunch of points. RSL looks to miss the playoffs for the first time in a long while with a shockingly bad defense despite trying to play a defensive counter-attacking style, their -11 goal differential is the worst in the west and their road goal differential is a terrible -16, worst in MLS. Colorado has, realistically, been out of the running for a playoff spot for a while, the only way Colorado has a shot at taking a spot is to win pretty much every single one of their remaining games, in a schedule sprinkled with top table teams.

5. ...While The East Gets Muddier
The west might be all but settled, but the east is a mess heading into the final weeks of MLS. The top spot in the east is almost certainly going to either DC United or the NYRB, but the rest is up in the air. Only 7 points and goal differential separate 3rd from 8th place in the east. Columbus and New England hold tenuously to the 3rd and 4th spots, but their neighbors to the north, Toronto and Montreal, both have games in hand; if they can convert those extra games into points, then almost certainly they'll be top of the heap for the single elimination round, and both teams have the sort of schedules that can very easily be turned into points, with very few top teams in the remainder of games. New teams Orlando City and NYCFC aren't too far off from the playoff spots though, Orlando is tied with Montreal on points and is only 7th due to goal differential and NYCFC is only 1 point out, but NYCFC may very well be out, their remaining schedule is littered with tough games. Philly and Chicago are done, as I noted above.

Thought this was worth a chuckle: http://www.buzzfeed.com/richardbeech/who-would-invent-a-word-like-soccer#.bqoBDyeV9

Also, wondering how much Costa and Mourinho cuddled and cried after this weekend. I don't know what's funnier, that Leicester is near the top of the table, or that Chelsea is so near the bottom (granted the table means little right now,but still). Also, I'm amazed at the heart shown by Bournemouth, and I won't be surprised if they find themselves almost mid-table at the end.

*Sigh* That's the word. If it happens I just hope we can retain his rights and eventually get him back.

According to the new transfer rules, it depends on his transfer fee. If someone pays a transfer fee of $500,000 or more then he would go through the allocation process upon return.

MLS transfer rules =

oogy.gif

That's pretty dang funny. At first I really thought it was being serious. Well done.

According to the new transfer rules, it depends on his transfer fee. If someone pays a transfer fee of $500,000 or more then he would go through the allocation process upon return.

MLS transfer rules =

oogy.gif

Pfft, who wants consistent rules? It makes things more interesting.

But in all seriousness, they can fudge the rules all they want as long as it means MLS gets bigger and more prominent.

Pfft, who wants consistent rules? It makes things more interesting.

But in all seriousness, they can fudge the rules all they want as long as it means MLS gets bigger and more prominent.

Try telling that to a supporter whose team just got screwed out of an "allocation" player just because the league thought it would be better served if that player was placed elsewhere. I guess if you are a supporter of a big successful team who is always signing new DPs to massive contracts and doesn't have to rely on some 2 bit Vegas Vacation style allocation lottery its easy to say league strength is the most important thing.

Try telling that to a supporter whose team just got screwed out of an "allocation" player just because the league thought it would be better served if that player was placed elsewhere. I guess if you are a supporter of a big successful team who is always signing new DPs to massive contracts and doesn't have to rely on some 2 bit Vegas Vacation style allocation lottery its easy to say league strength is the most important thing.
This is true... but that sounds like a Philly supporter to me. Sorry, only jokes and banter ;)

But there are so many workarounds that big names can be snatched up by anybody.

The players that are no longer subject to allocation are marquee USMNTers. Hell, LA still had to follow the allocation order to get Mr. Two Saints.

Other clubs are catching up and some are spending even more than the G's. Every time there is a new rule to improve quality of play (that usually requires more spending) people get up in arms that the league is drifting away from parity. But then it doesn't take long for things to reach equilibrium again. Then there are complaints that the league should be doing more to improve overall skill level. Thus, a new rule is created and we rinse and repeat.

IT'S THE CIIIIIRCLE OF LIIIIFE!

Back