Black Pipe Or Galvanized Pipe For Brutus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcav

Still Believing In God, Family &This Great Country
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Both of my local do it yourself warehouses (Home-Depot & Lowes), do not carry black pipe. However, they do stock galvanized pipe and all the connectors and fitttings. I want to run 1/2 inch gas pipe from the gas beam in my Brutus frame to the Honeywell dual standing pilot valves, and then run pipe (probably flexable) from the valves to my Banjo BG-14 burners.

Is galvanized pipe suitable to use for low pressure liquid propane gas from a 20 lb. tank? The sales person had to check and advised it was fine. Has anyone used galvanized pipe or is black pipe better for this application. If black pipe is the way to go I could order it online, I just would rather drive to the store and pick up the pipe and fittings as I put my system together. Any information, pros and cons between the two types is much appreciated.

Both of my local do it yourself warehouses (Home-Depot & Lowes), do not carry black pipe. However, they do stock galvanized pipe and all the connectors and fitttings. I want to run 1/2 inch gas pipe from the gas beam in my Brutus frame to the Honeywell dual standing pilot valves, and then run pipe (probably flexable) from the valves to my Banjo BG-14 burners.

Is galvanized pipe suitable to use for low pressure liquid propane gas from a 20 lb. tank? The sales person had to check and advised it was fine. Has anyone used galvanized pipe or is black pipe better for this application. If black pipe is the way to go I could order it online, I just would rather drive to the store and pick up the pipe and fittings as I put my system together. Any information, pros and cons between the two types is much appreciated.

galvanized is fine for running gas or propane....just dont use galvanized pipes or fittings on anything that will touch your brew

When I first read "mashman's" reply I was surprised. I had always heard that you shouldn't use galvanized pipe for any type of gas. So I did an extensive Google search and found this out:

1. Although black pipe used to be used for gas because it was believed that small flakes could come off from the galvanized pipe and clog the orifices - this no longer seems to be the case. Galvanized pipe is even required in some areas if the gas line is exposed to the weather.

2. Black pipe is used because it is cheaper, but not by much. In your case, however, this would not be a factor.

So - it seems that mashman's answer is correct - and I have just learned something!

Thanks for your replies Mashman and Marsdude. I have learned something as well! I was surprised how cheap the galvanized pipe is also. A 1/2 inch 90 degree elbow was $1.07, and most of the other connectors, nipples, and short pipe lengths were one to three dollars.

You should show us a pic. I asked the same question at Lowes and they told me 'code' in Utah is black pipe. But as long as you don't have to have a permit you should be fine :) I joke partially, but if you ever decide to hook it up to natural gas, I wonder if having some galvanized might create an issue for the plumber hooking it up.... of course, don't ask, don't tell.

I used primarily black pipe, but I used galvanized for some of the connectors, since they didn't have them in black. I've had no issues.

I used primarily black pipe, but I used galvanized for some of the connectors, since they didn't have them in black. I've had no issues.

It's good to hear it works well for you. I have not purchased the pipe yet. If the galvanized pipe is rated for propane gas, then I probably will end up using it unless someone posts that it would not be a good choice, and why. Thanks for letting me know that the fittings you used are fine.

John

Back