Has anyone done an all palisades SMASH or IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. I did edworts rye ipa with all palisade fr my first all grain a couple years ago. It's been a while but I remember loving palisades. It's very floral and unique. Smelled blossom-like. There was some fruit too. Go for it.

I've been on a huge SMaSH kick the last few months (Grrrr...Zuesy SMaSH!). All of them have been MO/WLP001 and were late-hopped.

Using that yeast/grain formula, I made a Palisade one in December; it was awesome. I would describe it as a mellower Amarillo (as in the fruitiness was present but less pronounced).

I'm planning a blonde ale and I have 1oz of palisade. Should i bitter with something else i have around (hallertau or goldings), and save all the palisade for the last few minutes of the boil? Or just steep it? Or throw it in the primary dry?
FWIW my ingredients on hand for this are:
9 lbs of 2 row, 1/2lb of crystal 20l, and a pack of nottingham dry...

I did the extract version of AHS Session Series Atlantic Palisades kit a year or so ago and I really enjoyed it. Wasn't near as hoppy as an IPA though.

I've been on a huge SMaSH kick the last few months (Grrrr...Zuesy SMaSH!). All of them have been MO/WLP001 and were late-hopped.

Using that yeast/grain formula, I made a Palisade one in December; it was awesome. I would describe it as a mellower Amarillo (as in the fruitiness was present but less pronounced).

How much of the floral aspect was present?

I'm thinking Ithaca Flower Power/Port Mondo levels of 'floweryness'

So I think I'm gonna do an IPA along these lines. I'm thinking all-palisades but I'm open to adding one or two other hops. I like hop bombs in general so I'm pushing the style IBUs.

Recipe draft:
5.5 gallons
7.5lb Light Dry Extract
0.5lb Caramel 20L
0.5lb Munich Malt (20L)
1.0lb Sucrose

1.5oz Palisades 60min
0.5oz Palisades 30min
1.0oz Palisades 20min
1.0oz Palisades 7min
0.5oz Palisades at flameout

1.0oz Palisades dry hop

OG: 1.069
FG: 1.018 (hope to get a little lower)
SRM: 9.4
IBU: 68
ABV: 6.7%

S05 dry yeast

Decided to do a half batch to test it out:

2.25 gallons
3lb Light Dry Extract
0.25lb Caramel 20L
0.25lb Munich Malt (10L)
0.5lb Sucrose

0.6oz Palisades 60min
0.3oz Palisades 30min
0.4oz Palisades 20min
0.4oz Palisades 7min
0.3oz Palisades at flameout

0.53oz Palisades dry hop (everything left)

(2.5oz Palisades (@6.7) total)

Steeped specialty grains ~155 degrees for 20min, sparged in another pot at 160ish for 10min.

Currently mid-boil, about 15min in. Any thoughts on perhaps reducing the dry-hop and increasing a flavor addition?

2.5 gallons

^ above recipe. It's supposed to be 58.9 IBUs.

I tasted it as I racked it to secondary, the bitterness is there but not biting enough. The flavor in general is a bit grassy but once that clears it's clean. I know it's green... but idk if it's gonna turn out how i want it to.

Oh yeah, and the gravity is 1.016.

Bottled today after 18 days dry hopping. Tastes delicious! Palisades are nice and fruity. There's just enough bitterness that it's balanced nicely for an IPA, but I'd likely want to add a little more to the 60min addition. I'm excited for when it's ready!

Bottled today after 18 days dry hopping. Tastes delicious! Palisades are nice and fruity. There's just enough bitterness that it's balanced nicely for an IPA, but I'd likely want to add a little more to the 60min addition. I'm excited for when it's ready!

So, how did this Palisades IPA work out once it was all carbed and drinkable? I've been curious about Palisades, but I've only used it in a recipe that called for a bunch of other hops as well, so I didn't learn much about its hop character.

I've brewed the AHS all-grain Palisades IPA with tasty results. It isn't as hoppy as the name implies, but it went fast. In the second brewing we upped the amount thrown at the 15 minute mark to punch up the flavor and it was well received. May go back and play some more with this hop.

So, how did this Palisades IPA work out once it was all carbed and drinkable? I've been curious about Palisades, but I've only used it in a recipe that called for a bunch of other hops as well, so I didn't learn much about its hop character.

Well, overall it was good. I think my caps may have been a bit rusty or something because there was a distinct metallic aftertaste... not enough to ruin it but enough to lessen my excitement.

That aside, it wasn't bitter enough, it came out as an APA. I think next time I'll move the 30min addition back to 60min.

As far as flavor, it was excellent (minus the metal). It screamed passionfruit. I'm planning on doing an IPA with palisade and something pineapple-y in the future as I think it'd come out wonderful... I'll just use a higher AA hop for bittering though.

Overall, I liked the hop and it's got a distinct flavor I haven't found from any other hop.

Latest posts

Back