Deer ate my hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svengoat

Reaction score
:mad: Well that's what you get when you grow them in the State Park I guess.. I planted 4 zomes couple years ago and they came up fine until they reached about 2 foot then something kept eating them..Eventually they stopped coming up...I just ordered 2 more to plant in G-ville hopefully outside the killer deer.. I didn't think deer ate hops plants??

They did eat my father's holly plants too..:D

OOps I should have searched before I posted, seems deer can be a problem.. dang..

Interesting...

Seen them near the hops , but not snacking on them, and another of our co-op members has never had an issue in 5 years, but they eat his veg garden right next to it.

Just my local experience.

Get some chicken wire or some of that thicker mesh wire, and put it around each one. Or build a fence around your garden.

Deer and other varmints will generally leave less "appetizing" plants alone, unless and until the food supply gets scarce. It is not at all surprising that the deer would go after someone's vegetable garden and leave the hops alone, but in another location without a better alternative go for the hops.

I haven't had trouble with deer, but the population is low here (shaggy coat disease). I know they're around, as one of their paths goes right past the hops. My business partner in Oakland, CA has a chronic problem with deer. The fire regulations require stripping all of the ground-cover, so the deer don't have much to eat. One year, a deer got on top of her house and fell through a skylight, when it was trying to get some plums.

did you check around the area, the hops mighta spread out quite a distance from the original root structure.

the deer ate my holly and trimmed the horrid evergreen bushes down into nicely manicured round blobs this winter. these bushes were old, prolly planted when the house was built. it was cold and snowy for a long time, two days before the day after, a long winter, with snow on the ground all of january and most of feb. the coyotes ate good, that's for sure. ;)

Spotted the buggers eyeing my hops today. Mine are fenced with rings of chicken wire around each mound. But I did take out the air gun and pop them in the butt a few times to tell them they were not welcome. Nice good pops when they hit and they jumped and moved on nicely! No harm no foul.:D

I'm putting my house up for sale within the next week. Thusly I'm digging my hops up within the next week or 2 and moving them to my parents house which has a BIG deer population, eat all the peaches, berries, etc. from my parents home. My father has had to put up a temporary fence around part of the garden.

Hmmmm the more I think about this the more it sounds like I'm sending my hops to their death!

Schlante,
Phillip

Back