Which bittering hop for my IPA combination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avillax

Reaction score
Hello, so I've decided that I will keep working on perfecting IPAs. I'm liking Citra and Galaxy hops a lot, are these a good combination by themselves?

So for the bittering part alone, does the hop variety really matter much? For instance, I was thinking to use Agnus hops because almost 2 ounces cost me about $1 here in Czech Republic and they have high Alphas.

So I was thinking about using these Agnus to boil for the 60 minutes and then add citra and galaxy for the flavor and aroma additions as well as dry hopping.

A description about Agnus:
Agnus is a popular bitter variety suitable for the first hopping lagers and ales India Pale Ale. Its earthy aroma and bitterness are the most prominent attributes of this variety. Alpha: 9-12% wt. Beta: 4 - 6.5% wt.

Just doing a quick search shows that Agnus are similar to Nugget and Magnum, so it seems like a perfect hop to use for your buttering addition. Have at it!

I've learned if you like hoppy IPA beers its hard to go wrong. Citra is my go to for dry hopping combined with centennial in the boil for bittering.

Citra and galaxy is also a good combo... Or Columbus and citra. Warrior and citra ect... I tend to stick to the USA variant s

Just doing a quick search shows that Agnus are similar to Nugget and Magnum, so it seems like a perfect hop to use for your buttering addition. Have at it!

Personally, I prefer biscuit malt for the buttering addition ;)

Citra can be a little harsh as a bittering hop, not to mention that it's a little on the expensive side when you aren't getting any of the popular flavor/aroma out of it. I've never tried Galaxy for bittering, but I'd suspect the same.

Try the Agnus for your early additions.

I personally like Worrior for bittering and if you do a first wort hop it has a "smoother" bite than just a 60min addition.

Citra can be a little harsh as a bittering hop, not to mention that it's a little on the expensive side when you aren't getting any of the popular flavor/aroma out of it. I've never tried Galaxy for bittering, but I'd suspect the same.

Try the Agnus for your early additions.

Yeah citra is great for a dry hop, not so much bittering

I know it's the done thing, but I have had many delicious all cascade IPAs. If the fruity citrus thing is what you're after, try cascade for bittering too. Centennial is also a nice choice.

Don't worry about the other bittering (not buttering!) hops that folks are mentioning. If you have a Czech bittering hop available to you, then definitely use it. All the better that it's cheap!

Bittering hops add very little to the flavor of the finished beer. So choose a hop variety that adds the right amount of IBUs to the beer that is also known for being neutral. Magnum is probably the best in this regard. Horizon, Warrior and Nugget are also worth consideration. Chinook is a good bittering hop but can sometimes be a bit harsh.

Bittering hops can best be added at 60 min. or so, whatever your recipe calls for as the best bittering addition time. Then use a more flavorful hop such as Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo, etc. for later additions.

Back