Fermentation Jostling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
So, It's approx. 4 days in on primary fermentation.

I'm noticing my Oatmeal Stout has greatly picked up its fermentation pace, as the Fat Tire Clone has slowed down alot... I'm aware this is normal, but it got me to thinking...

As I was replacing some vodka in the airlock on the stout, the natural downward pressure I applied to replace the cap naturally brought some bobbles out of the airlock... I didn't get this from the FTClone... but it got me to thinking...

What benefit, if any, is there to jostling around the primary after fermentation has begun? I tossed it around a bit when I first pitched, but perhaps more mid fermentation would incorporate the yeast more? I know this would also mix up everything that is settling, and add more time to any clarifying stages and time I've already planned for...

Just curious, as this generally sounds like a bad idea.

Just leave everything alone...why do you want to move stuff around if it's fermntaing away?

You are aware of the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't **** with it," right?

The yeasts no how to make beer, let them do it.

Just leave everything alone...why do you want to move stuff around if it's fermntaing away?

You are aware of the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't **** with it," right?

The yeasts no how to make beer, let them do it.

I agree.. I know it sounds like an awful idea... just wanted to see if anyone has done it and what effects, if any, follow.

Besides being an ass and trying to tamper with the process.

wait - if you can't get air to move through the airlock when you push down on the lid wouldn't that mean you have an air leak somewhere else? The reason the air lock bubbles when you push down on the lid is that the air that is being pushed has nowhere else to go. Am I missing something here?

wait - if you can't get air to move through the airlock when you push down on the lid wouldn't that mean you have an air leak somewhere else? The reason the air lock bubbles when you push down on the lid is that the air that is being pushed has nowhere else to go. Am I missing something here?

Perhaps I didn't detail as much.. it will bubble with a push... it's just not as sensitive as it was... or so it would seem.

I just pushed and everything seems normal still...

Just wondering what happens in the bucket if it were to suffer a large amount of stirring or swirling as it is fermenting and any experiences with it...

Back