Brett and Butyric Acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopherM

Reaction score
I have been making some award-winning Berliners the last several months using the sour mash method with full BIAB volume. However, the one knock I continuously get on them is a slight parmesan cheese in the aroma, which I definitely detect as well.

I've done some research, and learned that this aroma is definitely Butyric Acid, which is a common byproduct of Clostridium bacteria that happen to thrive at the same temps as lactobacillus. I also found out that most Brett strains love to eat Butyric acid, and clean is up quite nicely, leaving a pineapple/tropical ethyl butyrate compound behind.

Does anyone have any experience with this scenario? I'm looking for the best strain of Brett to use to eat the Butyric acid, and about how long it will take to clean up the aroma.

Thanks!

I normally think of isovaleric acid when I hear of parmesan or cheesy aromas. Although, butyric is possible too. Many sensory panels describe them very similarly.

I would recommend B. claussenii for the citrus/pineapple flavors. Brett can produce butyrate as well, so stay away from the farm/horse/sweaty species.

The best thing to do is not allow butyric acid to form in the first place. Adjust your ph after your sacchrification rest down to 4.5 with phosphoric or lactic acid, this will discourage the colostridium bacteria . Also make sure there is little to no oxygen present, this will also discourage them. I usually "sour wort" (mash, sparge, boil for 10 minutes, cool to 100, adjust ph to 4.5, pitch lacto, flood carboy with co2 allow to sour for a few days, reboil, pitch yeast--perfect every time now and 3 weeks grain to glass).
I went to the sour wort method after finding myself in the exact same situation as you are in right now. I had an extremely cheesy/vomit/diaper/garbage sour mash berliner. I pitched brett (many different strains) and waited a year. It went from completely disgusting to parmesan cheese/beer vomit with a hint of fruit. Tasted ok but once it got about six inches from your nose it was gross. Upon taking a sip, you couldn't help but get the feeling some one was puking in your mouth. I dumped it and I have been doing it right ever since.
If you want to do a long aged sour/brett beer, it'd probably be better to start with no butyric acid. Pitching brett into a beer with off flavors or aromas rarely (if ever) improves it.

Back