Coffee Mild..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangloverenator

Reaction score
Hey everyone. My first ever post, so be nice!! I'm planning an extract brew, and this is the proposed recipe. It's based off the Joy of Home Brewing "Cheeks to the Wind Mild" recipe, but with added awesome. Hopefully. Anyway, will this be ok...?

Zank Frappa (Coffee Mild)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.045 (°P): 11.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol (ABV): 4.42 %
Colour (SRM): 30.1 (EBC): 59.3
Bitterness (IBU): 22.5 (Average)

84.62% Dry Malt Extract - Light
7.69% Black Patent
7.69% Chocolate

1.5 g/L Fuggles (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

10.0 g/L Ground Coffee @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 30 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 1028 - London Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Couple of things... I may have written up the recipe wrong in BrewMate, does "@ 60 Minutes" mean that the hops will be in the kettle for the whole boil? Because that's what I'm planning!

Also, for future reference... If I'm making my own recipe, say for a 10l batch, how much should the malt extract/grain combination weigh?

Hope this makes sense, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hmmmmm it seems that BrewMate didn't format it very well. Anyway, I went for it (only a 10l batch so if it fails it's not a massive disaster) and this was the actual recipe...

1kg Dried Light Extract
100g Black Malt
100g Chocolate Malt

15g Fuggles (60 minute boil)
100g fresh coffee grounds (steep for 5 minutes after boil)

Munton's English Ale Yeast (rehydrated)

Main worries...

1) I may have used slightly too much water to hydrate the yeast. I'm assuming this isn't a big problem?
2) Some coffee grounds passed through the strainer. Do I need to worry about them or will they sediment OK?
3) I pitched the yeast a little high - closer to 35C. Is this a big disaster?

1. Don't worry about the amount of water on rehydrating the yeast. No biggy.
2. The coffee grounds will "flocculate" or sediment out fine. Think about the spare grounds left in your espresso. Same thing, essentially.
3. 35C (about 95F, for those of us not on that weirdo "metric" thing), is a little high, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Especially if the beer is put into a cooler environment where the ambiant temperature will cool it down a bit.

If you want to take a peek at the kind of flavor you can get from fermenting too hot, try a saison. You may also get some fruity flavors from esters that are produced from the fermentation at too high of a temperature. But generally, since your beer will probably cool down a bit, I wouldn't worry about it.

In the future I would recommend using Wyeast or White Labs though. Better quality and better flavors.

Awesome, thanks for the reply :) glad I haven't messed it up too much yet! And yeah, I keep it in the kitchen of my flat which is an old, cold building so it sounds like it will be OK.

Sweeet!

Latest posts

Back