bomber to 12 ounce?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed_

Reaction score
This is probably an odd question but I have a few beers that I had bottle conditioned in 22oz bombers a while back (before I started thinking about competing with some of my beers).

Now that I've started looking at competing I've realized that some of the beers in the bombers are superb beers but since they aren't in 12oz bottle can't be submitted to competitions. So is there any way to effectively transfer beer from the a bomber or two to 12 oz bottles without completely screwing up the carbonation or am I just going to have to rebrew these and let them age.

Me personally I wouldn't f with it...I'm sorry but in entering contests, you want to be entering your beers at their best. NOT risking oxydation and other issues by trying to change the original condition. If they won't take 22 ouncers, and most of the bjcp contests I've entered WILL allow 16 and 22 ouncers. But if they don't, then don't enter the contest this year.

THere will be other contests, and other beers to enter. And if you want to enter this recipe, then brew it again in time for the next contest.

And in the future, for every batch you bottle, bottle at least a sixer in plain, unmarked 12 ouncers. that way come contest time you will have bottles that you can enter, without having to worry about stuff like this.

We get threads like this all the time, and I don't get why folks would even consider messing with something like this....The point of a contest is to enter your beer in it's best condition possible. Not to do something that could oxydize or infect your beer, just in the hopes that it will turn out "ok."

The point of entering contests is to be judged by experts and experts can and will pick up any flaws in your beer.

So really, you don't want to do something that could render your beer in less than stellar or pristine conditions.

There are a million contests, and most of them are on an annual basis...this won't be the only contest, nor will it be the only batch of beer you make...

It's funny. this is the only hobby I have come across where people would try somethign like this befroe submitting their heart and soul to a panel of judges.......I mean you don't hear a painter say, "I want to enter my canvas in a contest, the rules say it can be no bigger than 8 x 10, mine's 9 x 12, so I guess I need to get out an exacto blade and cut my painting down to size."

Talk about cutting corners.

If it ain't gonna be perfect, then don't bother......Don't try to compromise...you would be surprised at what the judges can pick up on.

:mug:

Me personally I wouldn't f with it...I'm sorry but in entering contests, you want to be entering your beers at their best. NOT risking oxydation and other issues by trying to change the original condition. If they won't take 22 ouncers, and most of the bjcp contests I've entered WILL allow 16 and 22 ouncers. But if they don't, then don't enter the contest this year.

THere will be other contests, and other beers to enter. And if you want to enter this recipe, then brew it again in time for the next contest.

And in the future, for every batch you bottle, bottle at least a sixer in plain, unmarked 12 ouncers. that way come contest time you will have bottles that you can enter, without having to worry about stuff like this.

We get threads like this all the time, and I don't get why folks would even consider messing with something like this....The point of a contest is to enter your beer in it's best condition possible. Not to do something that could oxydize or infect your beer, just in the hopes that it will turn out "ok."

The point of entering contests is to be judged by experts and experts can and will pick up any flaws in your beer.

So really, you don't want to do something that could render your beer in less than stellar or pristine conditions.

There are a million contests, and most of them are on an annual basis...this won't be the only contest, nor will it be the only batch of beer you make...

It's funny. this is the only hobby I have come across where people would try somethign like this befroe submitting their heart and soul to a panel of judges.......I mean you don't hear a painter say, "I want to enter my canvas in a contest, the rules say it can be no bigger than 8 x 10, mine's 9 x 12, so I guess I need to get out an exacto blade and cut my painting down to size."

Talk about cutting corners.

If it ain't gonna be perfect, then don't bother......Don't try to compromise...you would be surprised at what the judges can pick up on.

:mug:

I completely get where you're coming from... Since I had never run into the situation though I figured there might be some technique that I was unfamiliar with that could allow the beer to transfer without compromising quality. I knew it was a long shot but it never hurts to ask right???

At this point I've upgraded my brewing system to handle larger than 5 gallon batches so I've taken to always brewing an extra gallon to bottle with the sole intention of saving for competitions if they turn out well enough. So on a go forward basis this will be a moot point.

Anyway thanks for all the feedback.

Back