Fermenting in plastic is... OK???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyan

Reaction score
Background: I'd rather buy a plastic conical fermenter FOR NOW until I can afford a SS one.

Questions: Can fermenting in food-grade plastic (HDPE, MDPE, or whatever) lead to any dreaded "off-flavors?" Can the plastic "leach" into the beer? If so, do you have any data (e.g. links) to back it up?

Not asking for anyone's opinion - just looking for scientific logic or experience or something justifiable.

BTW - I love these forums.

Most people start off fermenting in the plastic buckets....AKA Ale Pales. I have used them for a year, and aged beer 4-6 weeks in them with no issues. If its food grade, it shouldnt leach anything into the beer

You won't find any "scientific" evidence, only opinion. (and most of the opinions are based on second or thirdhand info and opinions, that have become "canon" and often stemmned from "spin" from the glass industry, with no real merit.)

People have been brewing and making wine with plastic for decades....With no problems.

Both ferment beer and wine, and that is all that matters, anything else is just a matter of opinion. Nothing else.

Besides the similar threads box below, and the hundreds of threads on this that you would find if you searched...this thread sums up nearly all of the -vs- threads that new brewers start, thinking it is the first time anyone thought to ask.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-pro-con-analysis-109318/

Revvy,

...I appreciate all of your advice you have posted on here. The vs link you posted is a very helpful resource.

Thanks,

Travis :cool:

People might get fed up with the same questions...but no big deal. Like Yooper said one time. A question might have been asked 100000 times, but this is the first time YOU asked it.

IMO, plastic is a great economical option for homebrewers. Lets face it, not all of us have the dough to spend on stainless. You will be very happy with a plastic conical. From my experience of fermenting a lot of beer in plastic, you don't get any off flavors. Chemical leeching...we'll have to see in a few years won't we:D

People might get fed up with the same questions...but no big deal. Like Yooper said one time. A question might have been asked 100000 times, but this is the first time YOU asked it.

Thank you very much for the patience and understanding! :mug:

I love hearin from the experienced brewers.

Looks like I'm buyin a plastic conical sooner than I thought! YAY! :ban:

Your avatar is a penis fest......I know what you were thinking. :)

ROFLMAO... I'm actually IN that picture!!! It's hard to see cuz the avatar is so small. I'm on a mountain bike at the base of the right penis!

438198596Sjpduv_fs_small.JPG

Your avatar is a penis fest......I know what you were thinking. :)

Yet another classic:D

I personally don't like using Plastic fermentors any more. I started using SS pots last year, I use a 7 Gallon for a Primary and 6 gallon for a Secondary. I had some infection issues, and decided to switch to SS. I'm in the absolute minority with that approach, but I have had great results and I'm not all worried about infections. It was more for peace of mind for me. Not trying to sway you away from plastic, just thought I'd give you another *******....I mean opinion.:cross:

I personally don't like using Plastic fermentors any more. I had some infection issues, and decided to switch to SS.

Thanks for the reply.
Were they buckets or conical? What brand name? How long did you use them until they started having problems? Did they have scratches (big, small, a lot, not many...)?
I'm asking a lot cuz I wanna know exactly why you had infection issues.
Peace. :fro:

:off: I just ideas came across this thread today. Its a cool idea but I realize there would be issues when using them with conicals. You'd have to cut a hole near the bottom and whatnot. But I'm just trying to give you ideas.
Plastic

supplies

They would help keep ur conicals from getting scratched too much
or maybe this whole idea is just conjured up from my druckness

Thanks for the reply.
Were they buckets or conical? What brand name? How long did you use them until they started having problems? Did they have scratches (big, small, a lot, not many...)?
I'm asking a lot cuz I wanna know exactly why you had infection issues.
Peace. :fro:

I had one 6 gallon bucket that I used as a primary, it is made by Ropak and I probably had it for about 5 years. It came with the original kit I was given. The first few years I used it was pretty sporadic because I hadn't gotten real serious about brewing yet, I probably put about 20 batches through it. I found a pretty big rough spot on it where I think some bacteria was hangin out. It wasn't like scratches, almost like there was some kind of build up on it. Anyhow, I never did figure out exactly what it was, but it was enough to make me switch.

:off: I just ideas came across this thread today. Its a cool idea but I realize there would be issues when using them with conicals. You'd have to cut a hole near the bottom and whatnot. But I'm just trying to give you ideas.
Plastic

supplies

They would help keep ur conicals from getting scratched too much
or maybe this whole idea is just conjured up from my druckness

Those are usually the best ideas! These are good to know about. I will surely try these bags out. Thank you for the suggestion! :rockin:

I had one 6 gallon bucket that I used as a primary, it is made by Ropak and I probably had it for about 5 years. It came with the original kit I was given. The first few years I used it was pretty sporadic because I hadn't gotten real serious about brewing yet, I probably put about 20 batches through it. I found a pretty big rough spot on it where I think some bacteria was hangin out. It wasn't like scratches, almost like there was some kind of build up on it. Anyhow, I never did figure out exactly what it was, but it was enough to make me switch.

I'm guessin your case was pretty rare because I've never heard about infection issues from anyone until now. Mos' da people be sayin that the plastic works great, so I vill sticken vit der plasteeck jah. Thanks for the input, dude. PeAcE :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:

The vs link you posted is a very helpful resource.

Heck yeah, it is!

And just for the sake of beating the dead horse (beating live horses is abuse, but beating dead ones is okay, I think) I've used plastic fermenters exclusively since day one. Cheaper to ship, easier to move, hard to break, and easier to clean due to the reduced weight. Oxyclean and a jet bottle blaster FTW, pass on the scrub brushes.

My plastic ale pails died too. I used them about 18 months with no problems, them boom!

I'm too cheap to buy new. I am currently using Reynolds turkey bags to line the pails. They are working like a dream and make clean up a breeze! It adds 1$ to the cost of 5 gallons, well worth it IMO. :)

Almost sounds like beer stone.

I think I'm going to switch to 4g batches and try fermenting in cornies. Stainless, no worries about cleaning, uniform, etc.

Plastic has been fine by me, but the buckets take up too much space.(carboys would too)

FWIW, I have used plastic conicals for well over 15 years with NO problems. I have brewed test batches for beers that I eventually brewed at the pubs I was working for. When I served the test batches, everyone who had a taste thought they were made at a "pro" brewery rather than in my backyard.

Heck yeah, it is!

And just for the sake of beating the dead horse (beating live horses is abuse, but beating dead ones is okay, I think) I've used plastic fermenters exclusively since day one. Cheaper to ship, easier to move, hard to break, and easier to clean due to the reduced weight. Oxyclean and a jet bottle blaster FTW, pass on the scrub brushes.

I was hoping to see you on this thread! Just wanted say "THANK YOU" for making that analysis! One of the best stickys on the forums.

THAT'S what I wanted to see - a seasoned homebrewer providing insightful information, i.e., LOGICAL reasons why you use plastic and suggestions for cleaning.

What I didn't want to see is someone criticizing my request for help. Beating dead horses on these forums is (and should be) commonplace... homebrewers are noturious for overkill :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

My plastic ale pails died too. I used them about 18 months with no problems, them boom!

I'm too cheap to buy new. I am currently using Reynolds turkey bags to line the pails. They are working like a dream and make clean up a breeze! It adds 1$ to the cost of 5 gallons, well worth it IMO. :)

How did they "die?" Please explain. Yeah, I'll surely check out the whole "bag" idea! Sounds interesting. Thanks.

FWIW, I have used plastic conicals for well over 15 years with NO problems. I have brewed test batches for beers that I eventually brewed at the pubs I was working for. When I served the test batches, everyone who had a taste thought they were made at a "pro" brewery rather than in my backyard.

Thank you! Nice brewstand! Where'd you get the conical? Do you know of anyone in Colorado (Springs or Denver) that sells conicals? Do you think we need more snow? I do. :rockin:

Beer Stone is usually inorganic soil residue that builds up in a kettle or a keg over time. It can be removed fairly easily by use of an acid cleaner, such as Five Star's ACID 1 or ACID 5.

TO clean my conicals, I first rinse them thoroughly with a hose, which removes most of the krausen. I then either scrub the interior with a warm PBW or Oxyclean solution. Rinse again.

For very caked on soil, I will fill the fermenter with warm PBW or Oxyclean solution and allow to sit for a day or so. Drain out the cleaning solution and rinse.

I sanitize with Sani-clean on brew day. I fill the fermenter with the Sani-clean and water solution and pump it through my heat exchanger, hoses and fermenter in a loop. As I have been brewing quite a few 10 gallon batches, I then pump the solution over to the second fermenter.

A very good alternative that uses less sanitizer is to simply fill a spray bottle with StarSan and water and spray the inside of the fermenter before you transfer beer into it.

Thank you! Nice brewstand! Where'd you get the conical? Do you know of anyone in Colorado (Springs or Denver) that sells conicals? Do you think we need more snow? I do. :rockin:

Thank you for the comment on the brewstand.

I would prefer no snow this weekend, please. I hope to brew a 10 gallon batch outside with my BIL. The way the weekend is looking, I will probably have to move the brewstand back into the garage Friday night.

I am looking to sell my 8 gallon MiniBrew conical. I have 5 of the 6.5 gallon conicals and that amount has been working fine for me. Please PM me if you might be interested.

minibrew.JPG

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/minibrew-8-gallon-conical-fermenter-158800/

I am looking to sell my 8 gallon MiniBrew conical. I have 5 of the 6.5 gallon conicals and that amount has been working fine for me.

I'm lookin' for one of the 15 galloners like from tank depot. Where did you get the 6.5 galloners? Do you know of anyone in Denver or the Springs that sells biodiesel conical tanks or anything like them?

I'm lookin' for one of the 15 galloners like from tank depot. Where did you get the 6.5 galloners? Do you know of anyone in Denver or the Springs that sells biodiesel conical tanks or anything like them?

I am not aware of any LHBS that sells the Minibrew gear. I ordered mine direct many years ago. I, personally, find the smaller sizes easier to move about. I am not sure about the biodiesel tank. I have never looked for them.

I'm guessin your case was pretty rare because I've never heard about infection issues from anyone until now. Mos' da people be sayin that the plastic works great, so I vill sticken vit der plasteeck jah. Thanks for the input, dude. PeAcE :ban:

NP, It's probably a bit of an over reaction on my part, but after 4 bad batches I was at my wit's end. Anyhow, happy brewing:mug:

I use all plastic to ferment. I have a couple of glass carboys but I rarely use them unless everything else is full since handling that much glass makes me nervous. The ale pails are cheap and are a breeze to clean. It's also easier to add things to the beer (fruit, whole hops) when it's a matter of popping off the lid and tossing it in.

People start a lot of rumors because they just don't know. 99% of all people who are against plastic have very little science experience. Many plastics are incredibly inert, meaning they just sit there and don't do anything. Until you start applying heat, specific chemicals, or radiation, they don't really do anything. Did you know that some of the most corrosive acids are stored in plastic?

Nearly every plastic container you can get your hands on is safe for alcohols.
I am completing my Materials Science degree and polymers are a part of what I study.

Back