Oxygenating Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vindee

Reaction score
When I transfer my cooled wort from the boil kettle to the fermentor I keep the hose above the wort to splash when filling. So far I have not had a fermentation problem but was wondering after reading so much on aeration, if this is a method I should consider changing.
I get foaming after filling the fermentor this way and have always assumed it was good.
Thanks

Unless you want to buy an oxygen-infusing setup, you are fine. Seems like using pure oxygen is really only beneficial (over shaking, et. al.) on really high-gravity worts.

This is what I have learned reading this forum and other sources, anyway... YMMV.

When I transfer my cooled wort from the boil kettle to the fermentor I keep the hose above the wort to splash when filling. So far I have not had a fermentation problem but was wondering after reading so much on aeration, if this is a method I should consider changing.
I get foaming after filling the fermentor this way and have always assumed it was good.
Thanks

This method is sufficient, per John Palmer and the countless others that utilize it. For high gravity worts I do a little shake shake as well. I own oxygen bottles and diffusion stones but I've found it a complete waste of money since sufficient aeration is achievable via the other 2 methods on 5 gal batch.

There is a theoretical optimum number of yeast cells to make the best beer. You can get toward that goal a number of ways. You can pitch that many yeast cells, you can pitch fewer and create the conditions for them to multiply (by aeration), or you can use a smaller number and build up their numbers by making a starter.

While this optimum number of cells would be nice, the actual effect on the beer by being under or over is pretty minor. Check out the results of such under and over pitching. http://sciencebrewer.com/2012/03/02/pitching-rate-experiment-part-deux-results/

"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing" I've been using oxygen infusion to oxygenate my wort combined with a good yeast nutrient in the kettle for all of my beers irregardless of their alcohol content. Although some might see me as being a suspenders and belt kinda guy but my beers have all turned out consistently good. That is all.

There is a theoretical optimum number of yeast cells to make the best beer. You can get toward that goal a number of ways. You can pitch that many yeast cells, you can pitch fewer and create the conditions for them to multiply (by aeration), or you can use a smaller number and build up their numbers by making a starter.

While this optimum number of cells would be nice, the actual effect on the beer by being under or over is pretty minor. Check out the results of such under and over pitching. http://sciencebrewer.com/2012/03/02/pitching-rate-experiment-part-deux-results/
So would it be better to add two additions of yeast instead of the one the recipe ca;;s for?
Thanks

Latest posts

Back