Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anyone else go to the madness at craft ale house last night? I got there right at 5 and three bar was 10 deep. We sat on the patio and they actually served us out there. Still took an hour but it was a nice night to sit out there with the pooch

I was dying to go but had a homebrew club meeting last night. Did you actually get a flight? That was probably the greatest Ipa flight ever assembled ...

Ya I got one just before it seemed like they had started running out of some of them. I was only there for the heady and blind pig since I had the others before. Heady is an animal. Definitely the best of the flight

I am visiting Philly (center city) for a few days, and we have a chance to eat out without the kids. I was thinking Serpico, Vernick, or Fitler Square Dining Room. We're looking for really good food, and must have soft-shell crabs on menu, not to mention a great beer list. Does anybody have suggestions, or places to avoid?

I am visiting Philly (center city) for a few days, and we have a chance to eat out without the kids. I was thinking Serpico, Vernick, or Fitler Square Dining Room. We're looking for really good food, and must have soft-shell crabs on menu, not to mention a great beer list. Does anybody have suggestions, or places to avoid?

I've been to serpico, and I enjoyed it. They had some good beers being served, but not that many. I'm not sure if the other two places will have much for beer.

A soft shell requirement is tough. It's pretty hit or miss, probably a special instead of a menu item. One place I seem them fairly often is Standard Tap in northern liberties.

A great centre city place with a top beer list and great food is Varga bar. It's not high end, if you're looking for a quiet evening in a dim restaurant. Alla Spina also has great beer and food, and perhaps a better atmosphere.

Anybody heading to Forrest & Main on July 3rd for the Paradisaea release? I'll be out of town :( If anybody could pick me up a bottle Id be grateful and would be willing to swap out for something.

Don't know if everyone saw this.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/group-grain-buy-bucks-montco-philly-area-480539/
Hey guys!
a friend of mine has opened a LHBS (in New York), and has offered a bulk grain buy that can be drop shipped out this way that he facilitates through his supplier. we would have to fill the order in pallet increments (of whatever grains we want of course) to get the best rates on shipping, but we could do a partial if needed. I would want this to go down ASAP so we can get to brewin'!

here are the prices offered (all malt is from Great Western unless otherwise noted)
2-Row - $39
Pale - $35
Wheat - $37
Vienna - $42
Munich - $38
C 15/30/40/60/75/150 - all are $51

Canadian Malting Pilsen - $40
Baird Marris Otter - $48

These prices do not contain the shipping fee, but I feel that it is a safe bet that there would be a $4-6 per bag addition. Once we get the number of sacks finalized, we will get the shipping quote, and then have everyone's grand total PM'd to them.

as far as payment, I will see if we can pay the LHBS directly via credit card, otherwise I would say a money order or cash in person PRIOR to the actual ordering of the grains will be the way to go here.

speaking of "in person", I work in Trevose (Mon - Fri), and live in Warminster, so it wouldn't be super difficult to meet up with me for payment purposes (at least IMO!)...and then I will send the funds. Like the other group buys, I stand to make nothing off of this; I just want grain at less than a buck a pound!

the actual location of the shipment/pickup is still TBD, but I would assume Warminster would be the place.

so please PM me or respond here and let's see what we can put together!

Anybody on here versed in the PA laws governing homebrewing? I have been asked by a family member to possibly brew for their (private) wedding next October. I know the basics like 200 gallons per household per year, nothing will be for sale, etc... This is something I would love to do, but want to be sure it is legal.

The venue is a byob and I would think they have to give their ok on it as well...

Any info anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I made beer in PA for a wedding in NH, that was served by a catering company. No problems.

You shouldn't have any issues. No one is that concerned about home brewers.

Anybody on here versed in the PA laws governing homebrewing? I have been asked by a family member to possibly brew for their (private) wedding next October. I know the basics like 200 gallons per household per year, nothing will be for sale, etc... This is something I would love to do, but want to be sure it is legal.

The venue is a byob and I would think they have to give their ok on it as well...

Any info anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I got married on Friday and brewed/bottled 650 beers (9 styles) for my wedding. We also had it at a BYO venue. I ran into no issues.

So are any of you clowns going to be at Keystone this saturday? If so, whatcha brewin? Our club (based on popular vote) settled on a porter recipe.

Anybody going to the TH release this Sunday? I may actually go! Just not sure what time I should show up to assure I can get an allotment

What, you only had a dozen Stone RIS, right? ;)

For me it just wasn't worth losing half a day to buy two bottles. They need to open the new facility and increase the size of these releases.
Yea man. Slept until 10 this morning and than repaid that with taking the wife and baby out to pick corn and stuff.

Hey brewers. Haven't logged into HBT in months probably. Took a peak around. Still the same.... haven't brewed since February. I did start a commercial hard cider company though. That's fun.

Hey brewers. Haven't logged into HBT in months probably. Took a peak around. Still the same.... haven't brewed since February. I did start a commercial hard cider company though. That's fun.

Ok, that's quite a leap...tell us more. Good to see you back on buddy!

Definitely draught local. We're hoping to be canning but worst case bottling. The cost and logistics of canning can be tough.

When you do get that far, I would be more then happy to purchase some and include as extras when shipping out trades to spread the word.

Congratulations Gitmoe, that's awesome! :ban:

Has anyone had any of the new sours from Free Will? I had their "Alexander" brett saison with cherries and it was awful so I've shied away from their beers, but my bottle shop guy was telling me that their new stuff is pretty good, especially "Blood and Guts"

Thoughts?

Congratulations Gitmoe, that's awesome! :ban:

Has anyone had any of the new sours from Free Will? I had their "Alexander" brett saison with cherries and it was awful so I've shied away from their beers, but my bottle shop guy was telling me that their new stuff is pretty good, especially "Blood and Guts"

Thoughts?

Sifl was pretty decent, lots of funk. That was my only touch on them, though.

In other unrelated posts, anybody going to the Brauhaus Schmitz Oktober Fest party this year? I asked my wife if she wants to go, so I bought in on two VIP tickets. It's her first ever beer festival, so I wanted to do it with style :D

I had it at a festival in March, I think it was on tap only. I can't actually find it on either rate beer or beer advocate...wonder if I have the spelling right

was it towards the end of the festival? maybe your memory is a little fuzzy? haha

found your checkin on Untappd. You gave it a 4 and it averages 3.6, so that's a hell of lot better than the 61 that Alexander gets on BA.

~I don't base decisions solely on BA ratings, but a 61 is pretty telling...~

was it towards the end of the festival? maybe your memory is a little fuzzy? haha

found your checkin on Untappd. You gave it a 4 and it averages 3.6, so that's a hell of lot better than the 61 that Alexander gets on BA.

~I don't base decisions solely on BA ratings, but a 61 is pretty telling...~

It was definitely towards to onset of the debauchery. They had it strictly for the VIP sessions...hopefully I wasn't sloshed within the first hour, all those ratings would just mean nothing lol
Ever have any of the bottled sours from Naked Brewing? I picked up a few of their limiteds, but I thought I would hold onto them to develop a tad bit.

Latest posts

Back