First bock. How did I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slomo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Its like the noob train is back in town, and I am not sure how I did.:drunk:

The receipe: Feat of strength Helles Bock by Evan!

I modified for a five gallon batch.

12 lbs of Pilsner malt
1.75 lbs of Munich malt light
.50 lbs of Victory Malt

.75 oz Magnum 13.1 AAU 60 min
1.0 oz Czech Saaz 3.0 AAU 10-12 min
2.0 Tsp Irish Moss 10 min
Wlp 830 2 vials stepped up starter 3 times w/ stir plate. Starter was at pitch temp during the making of it.

The process:

Mashed grains at 153 degrees for 90 mins
Sparged at 165 and boiled the whole lot for 60 min

I got the wort down to 74 degrees and then placed it into the Keezer. Since it was 9:30 pm and I had to get up for work at 2:30 am, I waited to pitch until after I got off from work so that the wort and starter were both at pitching temps 52 degrees.

My hydro sample said that I was at about 1.064 OG

So what say you...Is it a Bock:eek:

Oh and 60,000 btu burner is so much nicer then 30,000 btu.

TIA:mug:

Well, I'm doing my first bock, first lager actually, on Saturday, but one thing that jumps out is the 60 minute boil. Was it a good vigarous boil for the whole time? I was planning on doing a 90 minute boil to try to drive off DMS from the pilsner malt.

Yeah it was a good 60 min rolling boil I didnt start my 60 min timer until I had been boiling for 5 min, so really it was like 65 min... not that thats a big difference. Is it better for lagers and bocks to do a 90 min boil?

Yeah it was a good 60 min rolling boil I didnt start my 60 min timer until I had been boiling for 5 min, so really it was like 65 min... not that thats a big difference. Is it better for lagers and bocks to do a 90 min boil?

I think it's suggested a longer boil can be better in a beer that uses a lot of pilsner malt. The lower kilned malts like pilsner can result in a higher level of DMS in the beer and give that vegetal/cooked corn quality. If yours was a good solid boil for 65 mintues and you cooled quickly, which is also supposed to be important, I'd bet you're fine.

Glad to hear the delayed pitching went okay. I'm going to have trouble getting down to pitching temps with my immersion chiller, even using recirculated ice water. I was planning on getting it as low as I could and then shoving it in the fermentation fridge and taking the family out for a relaxed dinner and pitching later that evening.

Thats exactly what I did. I knew that I was not going to be able to get down to pitching temps with my immersion chiller, and especially with the 102 degree heat that we had yesterday. All I could do was pray, and hope that all was going to go well. Sure enough it did.

Thats exactly what I did. I knew that I was not going to be able to get down to pitching temps with my immersion chiller, and especially with the 102 degree heat that we had yesterday. All I could do was pray, and hope that all was going to go well. Sure enough it did.

Ha, yep, I'm glad it's started to cool down a little towards the weekend. I wasn't looking forward to brewing if the temps were still going to be pushing 100.

Back