Critique this Vanilla 'Robust' Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
So, I haven't brewed a dark beer in a while, so here is what I'm planning to do this weekend if the weather holds up. If not, then the following week.

I would like to do this AG, but right now I am only sitting on a 5g Cooler MLT, so I don't think I can fit the grainbill for 1.060 beers. Thus, I'll do this as a partial mash with 3lb DME added to the (full) boil. This is a modification of a recipe I found on BYO I believe...

From beersmith:

Recipe: Molasses Vanilla Porter - Partial Mash
Brewer: Roaring Bull Brewing Co.
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: Partial Mash
A sweet porter accentuated with the aroma and flavor of vanilla. The chocolate
and vanilla aroma is very enticing and the caramel sweetness complements the
chocolate and vanilla flavor. A well-balanced porter, with vanilla character
at the forefront.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 29.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 31.6 %
0.50 lb Maple Syrup - 10 Min (35.0 SRM) Sugar Misc 2.6 %
3.00 lb Marris Otter Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 36.8 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 10.5 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10.5 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.9 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 17.5 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (30 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

2.00 items Vanilla Bean (Secondary 5.0 days) Misc

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 6.25 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Single Step Add 7.81 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F 60 min

Thanks in advance...

Looks tasty. You can also check out the bourbon vanilla porter under my recipes. It's slghtly different. It's been a favorite every time, but you would have to substitute some of the grains for extract like you're already doing. I've made it with and without the bourbon.

I guess a general question would be, would makes a porter "robust"? Is it simply the 1.060 OG or is it the combination of the OG and fairly low hopping of 25IBU? Is it the bunch of roasty chocolate grains? I know normal porter has these as well, but does it have .75-1lb?

Thoughts, comments? I'm looking to run across the river to the LHBS here on my lunch break and wanted some thoughts before I dropped the coin on this stuff... I have the most expensive stuff (the DME), so thats good I suppose.

SilkkyBrew said:
I guess a general question would be, would makes a porter "robust"? Is it simply the 1.060 OG or is it the combination of the OG and fairly low hopping of 25IBU? Is it the bunch of roasty chocolate grains? I know normal porter has these as well, but does it have .75-1lb?

Thoughts, comments? I'm looking to run across the river to the LHBS here on my lunch break and wanted some thoughts before I dropped the coin on this stuff... I have the most expensive stuff (the DME), so thats good I suppose.

Overall Impression: A substantial, malty dark ale with a complex and flavorful roasty character.

History: Stronger, hoppier and/or roastier version of porter designed as either a historical throwback or an American interpretation of the style. Traditional versions will have a more subtle hop character (often English), while modern versions may be considerably more aggressive. Both types are equally valid.

Comments: Although a rather broad style open to brewer interpretation, it may be distinguished from Stout as lacking a strong roasted barley character. It differs from a brown porter in that a black patent or roasted grain character is usually present, and it can be stronger in alcohol. Roast intensity and malt flavors can also vary significantly. May or may not have a strong hop character, and may or may not have significant fermentation by-products; thus may seem to have an "American" or "English" character.
http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category12.html#style12B

^The BJCP interp of Robust Porter.

Well, picked up all ingredients today at the LHBS, except for vanilla beans and molasses - going to try to get some local organic stuff if possible.

Here is the final recipe, tweaked just a tad after reviewing more porter recipes and based on the actual AA% of the hops I was able to get, etc.

I'll post up the results of the brewday and ultimately the final beer in a few (6ish) weeks:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Molasses Kissed Vanilla Porter - Partial Mash
Brewer: Roaring Bull Brewing Co.
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: A sweet porter accentuated with the aroma and flavor of vanilla. The chocolate
and vanilla aroma is very enticing and the caramel sweetness complements the chocolate
and vanilla flavor. A well-balanced porter, with vanilla character at the forefront.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 34.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 25.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 31.6 %
3.00 lb Marris Otter (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 31.6 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 10.5 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 10.5 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10.5 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 17.5 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer - US [4.20%] (30 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer - US [4.20%] (10 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
2.00 items Vanilla Bean (Secondary 5.0 days) Misc
0.50 lb Maple Syrup - 10 Min (35.0 SRM) Sugar 5.3 %
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 6.00 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Single Step Add 7.50 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F 60 min

Notes:
------
Partial Mash at 153F.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back